Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Are Astronauts Heroes?

[ QUOTE ]
soldiers - too much variance to generalize. I think, in large part, they're people who got into the service because it was one of the only things they were qualified to do and too poor to get other training. I suspect they do courageous things, but I have a hard time believing the majority really joined to "save/serve their country".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do rejects continue to say this even though it's been proven to be completely false, on average?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I understand, the space station is necessary as a means of studying the long term affects of the human body in zero gravity. There's no point in spending billions and billions to build colonies on mars if our current science means we can't survive in space for more than a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my impression that NASA scientists aren't as interested in the ISS as other missions and feel that it is taking up way too much budget for too little return. I don't however wish to speak for these people and may be wrong (but I work with some of them).
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
soldiers - too much variance to generalize. I think, in large part, they're people who got into the service because it was one of the only things they were qualified to do and too poor to get other training. I suspect they do courageous things, but I have a hard time believing the majority really joined to "save/serve their country".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do rejects continue to say this even though it's been proven to be completely false, on average?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, prove otherwise. What's the average household income of the average recruit? Years ago it was significantly under the national average.

What's the percentage of minorities who sign up? It was, years ago when recruiters were on campus and articles talked about it, significantly higher than the national average.

Why has the recruiting office dropped it's IQ standards for recruiting? Because enough smart people aren't joining...

But, feel free, go find and post research countering it. I said in my initial post it was my feeling that these things were true. If you want to quote research, then quote a real link rather than just being an insulting [censored].
Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 PM

I've never really thought about it, but yeah I'd consider Astronauts heroes.

They leave their family and friends to go explore relatively uncharted (unchartered?) territory, with a fairly large (compared to other forms of travel) probability of not returning, all in the name of Science and Research. And getting your face on a Stamp.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, prove otherwise. What's the average household income of the average recruit? Years ago it was significantly under the national average.

What's the percentage of minorities who sign up? It was, years ago when recruiters were on campus and articles talked about it, significantly higher than the national average.

Why has the recruiting office dropped it's IQ standards for recruiting? Because enough smart people aren't joining...

But, feel free, go find and post research countering it. I said in my initial post it was my feeling that these things were true. If you want to quote research, then quote a real link rather than just being an insulting [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Bogey, let's not be insulting in this thread. I asked for people's opinions and he gave me his. I see nothing wrong with what Bogey said in his initial post. I didn't find it antagonistic. He was just stating his opinion.

This is the Lounge. If you have an opinion, state it without resorting to name calling please.