Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Play this differently ?

6 handed 5/10, no read on villain. I raise KJo on button, villain 3bets in bb, I call.

Q T x with 2 spades (I have none).

Villain bets, I raise, he 3bets, I call.

Q T x 9 (puts the 3flush out)

villain bets, I call planning to raise safe river. I know I could obviously raise here.

river is a total brick. villains bets, I raise, villain 3 bets.

hero ? Anyone put in the 4th bet ?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Play this differently ?

you absolutely must raise the turn forealz

sometimes I just call the flop planning on sometimes calling sometimes raising the turn, depending on villains tendencies and any relevent table history

like if villain b/f a lot and/or I've recently taken a call flop>raise turn line with a strong hand I will be more likely to take the same line with this hand, trying to get a fold out of a small PP or Ax
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM

always raise the turn, never four bet the river especially if your king isn't a spade.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 AM

yourface is right. you've gotta raise the turn, and I don't put in the 4th bet on the river.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM

In this particular instance, raising the river got me way more bets. I'd say "always raise the turn" isn't quite right. I think it's "raising the turn is the percentage play", because of all the action killers on the river, and the chance he has a small spade. But like I said, in this instance, I made 2 extra bets waiting for the river.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM

thanks for the lesson then ????

classic example of results oriented thinking. he happened to have QQ/TT this time and he's on the spewy side, great. how about when an 8 or a 3 spade falls on the river and he check/folds his AK or check/calls or bet/folds his AA/KK/JJ/AQ
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM

If you believe, that raising the turn is "the percentage play", then it's also the right play, regardless of the outcome of this hand.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the lesson then ????

classic example of results oriented thinking. he happened to have QQ/TT this time and he's on the spewy side, great. how about when an 8 or a 3 spade falls on the river and he check/folds his AK or check/calls or bet/folds his AA/KK/JJ/AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished agreeing with you, saying that I also agreed that it's a must, lol.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe, that raising the turn is "the percentage play", then it's also the right play, regardless of the outcome of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with that, and didn't say differently. I'm just saying that there are clearly times when villain will overplay hands that draw dead, and in those instance the percentage play doesn't get the most value. But I know raising the turn is correct, and knew it when I wrote the OP. My concern is for the river. I know the turn was a spur of the moment mistake...
Old 08-28-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with that, and didn't say differently. I'm just saying that there are clearly times when villain will overplay hands that draw dead, and in those instance the percentage play doesn't get the most value. But I know raising the turn is correct, and knew it when I wrote the OP. My concern is for the river. I know the turn was a spur of the moment mistake...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. Your post came across to me (and jba, I guess) like you were defending your turn play.

I agree with everyone else. Don't cap the river.