Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: 1K - AAxx with sidepot

Um something isnt right in this preflop action. I see fold, then button calls. you sure its utg who called, because I see no action from MP then. This seems like 1/2 to 2/3 pot bet flop. Hopefully he didnt limp jt97
Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um something isnt right in this preflop action. I see fold, then button calls. you sure its utg who called, because I see no action from MP then. This seems like 1/2 to 2/3 pot bet flop. Hopefully he didnt limp jt97

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, the converter screwed this up. I should have read through it closer before posting. I can't edit the original post.

The action was limp, overlimp, SB pots, I RR pot, UTG calls, button folds, SB calls (all-in). So we have a bit over a PSB. Obviously, I don't think we can really fold unless we know that UTG never bets with less than a 7. We don't have that kind of read. I guess bet/call is the only option.

My problem is that my hand is effectively face-up as I don't think UTG is good enough to think that I could attempt to isolate the SB with a reasonably wide range and still be profitable. Meh, bet/call sounds like the verdict. Thanks for the responses.

I did bet/call and obviously UTG had a 7. I just wasn't sure if his preflop mistake was large enough to make up for the times I get it in here with ~10% equity. Obviously, I can consider folding on a more coordinated flop, but I really can't here.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 AM

I was wondering if any of the other posters had suggestions about how often one should avoid 3 betting unsuited and single suited but bad sidecards aces from blinds and utg. It almost seems like this hand can be played for most value by calling the SB raise and investing more chips only when we see favorable flop.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if any of the other posters had suggestions about how often one should avoid 3 betting unsuited and single suited but bad sidecards aces from blinds and utg. It almost seems like this hand can be played for most value by calling the SB raise and investing more chips only when we see favorable flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what flop would be favorable for you?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 AM

This flop is pretty favorable, but if we don't 3 bet preflop, we can fold to a raise because we are not pot committed. Flops where we hit ace or straight draw like A98 or KT4. I just wonder how one should play weak aces from blinds when you can't get enough chips in preflop to auto shove almost any flop, but the pot is so big that any bet hero makes will almost certainly pot commit.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This flop is pretty favorable, but if we don't 3 bet preflop, we can fold to a raise because we are not pot committed. Flops where we hit ace or straight draw like A98 or KT4. I just wonder how one should play weak aces from blinds when you can't get enough chips in preflop to auto shove almost any flop, but the pot is so big that any bet hero makes will almost certainly pot commit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that 3-betting preflop is the best option here by far. First of all, we are attempting to isolate the small blind shorty. I think it is rare that we don't. There aren't too many opponents (UTG in this hand) that limp/call a 3-bet preflop. Besides, it cannot be a mistake to get as much money as possible in pre-flop with a certain equity advantage.

I would need to see some pretty solid math describing a situation where we only get the rest of the money in on the flop when we are way behind (villain folds rest of the time) to convince me otherwise. I have thought about this situation, and I don't really think it applies. I tend to believe that if this villain will limp/call ~25% of my stack with 79TJ or whatever, then he will probably stack off with KKxx and maybe even QQxx on this board.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the situation where you actually need to play some poker. But its so much easier when you have less money left on the flop that you should be thinking about folding/reraising with junk aces rather than thinking that calling is the best. Calling is probably the worst option especially if you have tendencies to play aces in check-call-any-flop-see-if-villain-bets-turn-or-river way (ie. just call preflop and then overplay with just one pair on most flops IN OMAHA OUT OF POSITION)