Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Possible Pooh-bah? - The Basics of Thinking in Terms of Ranges

This concept is relatively basic, and I am sure many of you already think in terms of ranges. There are more advanced articles and posts out there based on this concept (see Gbucks, ftw), but I haven't really seen anything that explains the application of hand ranges in a simplistic fashion. Everything I will refer to in this should actually be thought about AT THE TABLE. It is my belief that many posters perform post-analysis using hand ranges but do not think about them while actually making decisions at the table.

The easiest way to introduce using hand ranges is to use an example. In this example, we can assume that villain is not thinking about what we hold, so he is a first level thinker. These types of opponents are still very common at SSNL, and they are the types we should be seeking out.
<font color="blue">
1/2NL (6max) - $200 eff stacks
Villain is 35/8/0.9 - Loose-passive calling station

Pre-flop:
Villain open-limps from MP. It folds to hero on the button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] who raises to $10, folds to villain who calls $8.</font>

It is time to start thinking about villain's range of hands. At this point, it is very wide, but we can narrow it down a bit. It is highly unlikely that he has a premium hand or complete trash like 72o. I would typically estimate his range as 22-99, Axs, KJ-KT, KJ-K9s, QJ-QT, QJ-Q9s, and all suited connectors and one-gappers JTs and below.
<font color="blue">
Flop ($23): 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, hero bets $17, villain calls</font>

Now we can narrow his range down significantly. From this point, I will estimate in the fashion that I will at the table which is pretty general. I would assume villain has any pp 22-99, a straight draw (45, 89, 8T,9T), trip 6s (56, 68, etc), a full house, or any flush draw in his preflop range.
<font color="blue">
Turn ($57): 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks...</font>

Against his range, we have to bet for both value and protection. This type of villain is very likely to take another card with a draw or a PP. He will also call or raise with the few hands that already have us beat, but overall we have great equity against his holding range and his calling range.
<font color="blue">
Hero bets $42, villain calls

River ($141): 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks...</font>

Now we only need to think about his calling range. He is most likely not calling 3 barrels with 22-55, diamond draws, or most of his straight draws. He also probably doesn't have a full house after checking all 3 streets. His calling range is most likely: 88-99, any draw that hit 2pair on the river (8T, 9T, JTs, etc), any 7, 666, and 89 for the straight. We are ahead of that range, meaning if he calls a certain bet size with the entire range, we win the pot &gt;50% of the time. We can assume he never folds a better hand or C/R bluffs us.

<font color="blue">Hero bets $75, villain's action is irrelevant as results don't matter if our ranges are accurate.</font>

Now this can get infinitely more complicated than the example above. The next step is to realize how our image can affect the villain's range. For example, if we are 3-betting very light, and villain is observant, we have to widen villain's 3-bet calling range because we can assume that villain has assigned us a wide 3-betting range (our perceived range). This also becomes much more complicated against villains that semi-bluff, bluff C/R the river, etc. This can go on forever, but the basic idea is outlined above.

The thing to take away from this post is that you should be doing this at the table! With practice, this kind of thinking becomes automatic, and you will soon start adjusting both your perceived range and villain's range dynamically throughout hands. You cannot get there if you don't start doing this in the most basic situations, though.

I hope this post is helpful to some of you out there in 2p2 land.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Possible Pooh-bah? - The Basics of Thinking in Terms of Ranges

nice post sir
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM

This is good. This is the kind of thinking that seperates winners from losers. The uNL posters should read this as well.

I may not agree 100% with your initial range for an openlimp-caller in EP, but that's irrelevant.

Nice post. Sticky material for sure.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is good. This is the kind of thinking that seperates winners from losers. The uNL posters should read this as well.

I may not agree 100% with your initial range for an openlimp-caller in EP, but that's irrelevant.

Nice post. Sticky material for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Grunch. Honestly, I didn't put much thought into the pre-flop range because most of the real thinking happens post-flop. You certainly could include other Ax hands and the like too, but as you pointed out, it doesn't really matter much to this post. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM

v nice, I think that a lot of the analysis and thinking that goes on over 2p2 is unrealistic to do "at the table", thats not to say its pointless because it gets you thinking about the factors involved in decisions and common lines to take etc. But stuff like this that can be done at the table is really important.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM

very good post...I think the river is thin, but this is a spot that a lot of us miss value on.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very good post...I think the river is thin, but this is a spot that a lot of us miss value on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, the river is thin in the example, but I make a lot of thin river value bets. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For the purpose of the post, I am assuming that my accuracy of assigning range to the villain is 100%. I can do this because I made up the villain [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM

lol fair enough. Now show me how to play a 3-bet pot with JJ on a 752 board perfectly. This game is so easy!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:30 PM

standard?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 PM

this article is fantastic. As a beginning player, I have been looking for exercises, examples, articles, etc on methods for putting opponents on hands.

You, sir, should write a book. I will be your first purchaser.