Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Default WITHG: Is 2+2 TRYING to discourage casual players from buying it?

I just received Winning in Tough Games from Amazon, and the contents of the book look great.

However, the physical appearance of the book sincerely makes me wonder whether 2+2 actually wants to sell any copies of this book in a B&M store.

A few things I noticed:

- The cover is IMHO perhaps the ugliest yet.

- I didn't know it was possible, but the paper seems to be even thicker than usual (maybe just because the book is quite long). It really interferes with readability. It is difficult to open the book without creasing the spine (something a browser in the store will try to avoid), and almost impossible to keep the book open with one hand.

- The garish cover design runs onto the spine of the book, making the title very hard to read if the book is on a bookshelf. If I were browsing for poker books from a yard away, I would have no idea what this book was about.

The last thing is what really mystifies me. The other two are judgment calls I suppose, but I cannot understand how anyone could let a book be printed with a clearly unreadable title on the spine. What is going on here?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: WITHG: Is 2+2 TRYING to discourage casual players from buying it?

[ QUOTE ]
Is 2+2 TRYING to discourage casual players from buying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of God, I hope so!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so ugly about it?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so ugly about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't what the cover looks like. The picture is the same, but the the text is much different.
The cover in the picture is much more attractive than the real cover.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just received Winning in Tough Games from Amazon, and the contents of the book look great.

However, the physical appearance of the book sincerely makes me wonder whether 2+2 actually wants to sell any copies of this book in a B&M store.

A few things I noticed:

- I didn't know it was possible, but the paper seems to be even thicker than usual (maybe just because the book is quite long). It really interferes with readability. It is difficult to open the book without creasing the spine (something a browser in the store will try to avoid), and almost impossible to keep the book open with one hand.

- The garish cover design runs onto the spine of the book, making the title very hard to read if the book is on a bookshelf. If I were browsing for poker books from a yard away, I would have no idea what this book was about.

The last thing is what really mystifies me. The other two are judgment calls I suppose, but I cannot understand how anyone could let a book be printed with a clearly unreadable title on the spine. What is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful about saying things like this or Mason will accuse you of taking part in an apparently well known but misguided Freemason and Illuminati plot to damage the sales of 2+2 books. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

At least that's what happened to a few of us a few weeks back when we voiced similar concerns about the 2+2 library. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From the early reviews I've read, we should be glad that this book isn't falling into the casual player's hands.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 AM

I believe 2+2 publishing operates under the idea that thicker-paper = higher-quality.
I'm not in the publishing business so have no idea if this is just a given that everyone agrees on. But I hate it.

I haven't received my copy yet but I'm pretty sure the thick-paper will bug the crap out of me.

That said, the spine and glue completely broke on my copy of Weighing The Odds.
I prefer the look and feel of that book about 10-fold to any 2+2 book....that is until it completely fell apart a few days ago.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:31 AM

Hi Nick:

The cover that made it into this picture is not the final version. We needed something to put up on site a few weeks ago so we went with a preliminary version. We'll try to get it changed in a few days.

The cover picture that appears on Amazon, which is the same as the one that currently appears on our site, was not sent to them by us. We have sent them a book to scan and hopefully they'll change the picture fairly soon.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe 2+2 publishing operates under the idea that thicker-paper = higher-quality.
I'm not in the publishing business so have no idea if this is just a given that everyone agrees on. But I hate it.

I haven't received my copy yet but I'm pretty sure the thick-paper will bug the crap out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob

You are misguided here, the thick paper means you can spill your chicken and gingerbread sandwich all over the book wipe it off and carry on without it falling apart, don't try this at home but you can even boil wash a 2+2 book without it becoming unreadable.

Regards Mack