Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Is there any book that addresses the typical 1/2 NL game?

[ QUOTE ]
No one who plays 1/2 NL could write a book worth reading. Stick to Sklansky/Miller, Brunson, Reuben/Ciaffone, and Harrington. Figure out yourself what adjustments to make for loose low stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I this reading SSHE and figuring out what adjustments to make for no-limit might be more useful. All of these books seem to seriously lack information about how to play 7- or 8-way pots. And you never see hands like "UTG raises 10x the big blind; three players call." I've heard it said that the blinds are basically irrelevant in 1/2 NL; the game would play almost exactly the same if no one had to post a blind. I think these game conditions run contrary to the foundation of much poker literature, which sees the game as a fight over the antes.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 AM

Didnt you think NLHTAP was a great book?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
while PNL isn't about $1-$2 nl, it's the book you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

God! Matt, every time you post you make me salivate. I can't wait for the new book.

I'm currently doing a re-read of all my favorite NL books (HoH 1&2, LGB, Largay's, PL&NL, NLH:T&P & S/S NL hold'em section) to prep my brain for your book.

I just can't decide if your new book, and Dan Harrington's cash game book, are a good thing or not. Will all the fish suddenly wize-up, or will the tables be flooded with donks who read the book but don't follow/understand it? Gonna be interesting either way.

One more thing, Matt. I know 6-max is hugely popular right now, but being an old limit hack I prefer FR. Will the book be applicable to both, or will if favor one over the other?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM

quote: Matt, every time you post you make me salivate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thats a scary thought
Old 04-03-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
quote: Matt, every time you post you make me salivate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thats a scary thought

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what it's like to live inside my head. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 AM

Your a freak.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 AM

i think you can use HoH 1 as a 1-2nl guideline its fairly correct pre and postflop an added bonus could be improvements in other areas{mtt}
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One more thing, Matt. I know 6-max is hugely popular right now, but being an old limit hack I prefer FR. Will the book be applicable to both, or will if favor one over the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

all the big topics in volume 1 are applicable to 6-max and full ring. there are many hand examples from each. if anything it favors full ring slightly, though Sunny and i strongly prefer 6-max.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one who plays 1/2 NL could write a book worth reading. Stick to Sklansky/Miller, Brunson, Reuben/Ciaffone, and Harrington. Figure out yourself what adjustments to make for loose low stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief. You trying to get your face on Mt. Rushmore with Mason and Sklansky?

One of the reasons SSHE has been a great success is because Ed actually PLAYED the games. He worked his way up. David, in the foreward, said it was a book he and Mason couldn't write because they never played in low limit games.

I see you are still making blanket statements without thinking first. This one is a hoot.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE is a good book, but most of the books on playing low stakes games are pretty worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have to adamantly disagree with you here Betgo. While I can understand that you don't see any of the information in SSHE as ground-breaking, for a new player coming into the game it is a real eye-opener unlike any book I've read. I can say, without a doubt, that I learned the fundamentals of hold'em mostly from Ed Miller's book. I had already read TOP, HOH and others at the time, but Miller had a way of relaying his thoughts in such a clear and concise manner while also having a strong understanding of the fundamentals he was trying to teach. I think his direct experience playing the low limit games was extremely helpful in this case. To someone who has very limited experience playing hold'em, SSHE is a goldmine of information.

I think the same can be said of NLHE:TP. I have enough experience playing the game that the fundamentals the book teaches aren't revolutionary ideas to me. A lot of it is repetitive of things I already understand and I would expect the same can be said of yourself. I learned at least a few new things from the book and other things I already understood were definitely reinforced by reading it. For someone with as much experience as yourself I doubt that any book will really cater to you or teach you anything that you would deem incredible. Even I can't say that NLHE:TP was incredibly groundbreaking to me, but I definitely see the value in the text itself, especially to a player with considerably less experience than myself.

Perhaps you've forgotten where you come from... that there was a time where even Betgo didn't understand the fundamentals of when to raise, when to call, when to fold and when to bluff. Consider the players who most poker books are targeted at... and realize that you're not one of them.

I guess that's what they mean by one man's trash is another man's treasure.