Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Soccer (Football) fans help me out

What are your views on the switch to a 3-point system? Are games more offensive-minded and interesting?

The reason I'm asking is because the NHL GM's recently voted against switching to a 3-point system, citing that British soccer hated it and that teams would get ahead and shut down. However, this sounds totally against what I intuitively thought.

I hate the current system the NHL has, but the GM's seem to love it since everyone is in the playoff race.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Soccer (Football) fans help me out

I don't have any data or anything, but it would surprise me if football has become more defensive after the 3-point system was introduced.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 AM

I really don't know how it has affected the soccer leagues.
I think you still have a lot of draws. And many of those draws are pretty hard-fought yet you get credit for less than half a win which I think sucks.

Not sure how it might change things in hockey. i'm still not a huge fan of the shoot-out.

My rec-soccer league uses the 3-point win system and it gets kind of interesting.
You end up rooting for all the other games to be ties.

We had a disappointing season and finished 3-3-4.
In the 3-point system this is just 1 point better than going 4-6-0.
In the 2-point system it would be the same as going 5-5-0 (or also the same as 0-0-10).
Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 AM

The Switch happened twenty six years ago so I cant remember the old two point system I haven’t got the numbers but id be surprised if scoring has decreased there hasn’t been any campaigns from fans managers players or chairmen to bring the two point system back as far as I know, and its now spread to international football and all the big European leagues.
The winners of the last year of 2 points for a win Liverpool scored 1.92 goals a game that season. Last years winners scored 1.89 a game.
George Graham's Arsenal where the only team I have ever seen how were able to grab a goal then defend the rest of the match consistently for most teams its a recipe for a one all draw at best.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Microbob, I wouldn't campaign for the same 3 point system used in soccer. I'd want 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT/Luck-out win, 1 point for OT/Out-lucked loss. Hmm, actually I still don't like the idea of a loser point. But getting a third of the points instead of half for losing seems better.

Right now you get way too much credit for going to OT, and once in OT teams are basically trying to get to a shootout. I think it'd make for interesting pushes by teams that need points.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Microbob, I wouldn't campaign for the same 3 point system used in soccer. I'd want 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT/Luck-out win, 1 point for OT/Out-lucked loss. Hmm, actually I still don't like the idea of a loser point. But getting a third of the points instead of half for losing seems better.

Right now you get way too much credit for going to OT, and once in OT teams are basically trying to get to a shootout. I think it'd make for interesting pushes by teams that need points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do hockey fans think that the introduction of the shootout has made the 5 minute overtime period less interesting? I would think so.

I think that the system that would make for the most exciting hockey (or soccer) would be no overtime, one point for a win, 0 points for a loss or tie.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:25 PM

I don't think so, as OT is 4-4 now which really opens up the play.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM

actually, that's almost not a half-bad idea or at least it's something to work with.

Now that you have a definite 'winner' every night does every team really need partial-credit just for getting to overtime and a pseudo-tie?

Teams and fans are reluctant to take that away because you're 'suppsoed' to get credit for a tie.
So they give them one more standings point to play for in the shootout so that it actually means something...but not TOO much.

meh, boooring.
Teams end up just coasting through a conservative OT so that they can take their chances and roll the dice in the shootout.

And overly complicated points-systems that include psuedo-ties turn off fans. So don't try to solve it by making it worse.

Why don't they just do:
5 points for a regulation win
4 points for an overtime-win
3 points for a shoot-out win
2 points for an overtime-loss
1 point for a shoot-out loss
0 points for a regulation loss
Ridiculous enough?

so teams would have a record of:
13-2-5-4-3-12

meh, that sucks!

just make it wins and losses with no OTL's or ties or anything. I'm liking it the more I think about it.

yeah, yeah... the shootout stuff isn't REAL hockey.
yeah yeah...it sucks to play so well and make it all the way to the shootout and not even get any credit for it like you used to when it would just be a tie.

Big deal.
Wins are exciting. That's the point.
There's heart-break in all sports.
Lost in a shoot-out? too bad, that's life.

You don't get partial credit for getting to OT in basketball or getting to extra-innings in baseball.
You also don't get partial-credit for an overtime loss in hockey if it's the playoffs.
Win 4 games, that's all that matters.

Make it a full point for a win and nothing if you lose.
Maybe a 10 minute OT before you go to the shootout.

Go hockey!!!
Do the right thing!!