Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Maximizing Value with the Mortal Nuts

The thread about laying down the nut flush vs straight flush, and a hand I played a few days ago, got me thinking.

Hypothetical situation:

You are in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

After a bunch of limpers a very straight forward ABC player raises. You know with certainty that he has AAxx.

The flop comes T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

It's checked to the ABC player who pots immediately. Assume that the table is evenly stacked,everyone has 150-200BBs, and none of your opponents think beyond the first or second level.

What is your best course of action to maximize your value here?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Maximizing Value with the Mortal Nuts

I'd call behind for some overcalls from people looking to fill up, or maybe someone behind me wants to checkraise if they have the nut flush. Either way - keeping in as many people drawing dead as possible. If everyone else folds there won't be much value in the hand, barring a miracle that ABC hits runners for a boat (or he has the nut flush).

If someone fills up on the turn it shouldnt be too hard to get lots of money in.. If that doesn't happen, I'd lead the turn praying ABC has the nut flush. If he does and raises, just call his raise if it's still a multiway pot, if not, put more money in.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 AM

The ABC player has the nutflush with 100% certainty.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM

lets see, u obviously hope for someone to have the ace high flush here to pay u off, set possibilities are pretty slim cause u have 78. i would probably make it simple and raise here cause the preflop raiser might have the ace high flush and if u just call and the board pairs on the turn he might not pay u off. i wouldnt expect to get callers without at least the q/k high flush if u call here and i dont think this is likely enough to be good. a set of 10s would certainly call if u called before and would make sure u get paid on paired boards too. i dont know how likely it is for one of the other players too have this, any probability experts here?

a just read pfr has nutflush all time, i think it s a raise to built the pot before the board pairs.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 AM

is pfr able to lay the ace high flush against heavy resistance on non paird boards? if not i d bring in as much money as possible on every street.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ABC player has the nutflush with 100% certainty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then raise the flop to get more money in before the board pairs. As another person said, sets are unlikely since you have 78. Not raising here to me just accomplishes getting TTT to come along when it's out (he may come anyway since it's deep). But IMO you must raise the flop to get more money in right away. If nobody else calls your raise and pf raiser smoothcalls, obv bomb any turn that doesn't pair the board. If board pairs on turn check behind and hope he pays off the river (I would if I were him since a flop raise from a set is totally nonstandard and retarded).

*Edit* Actually you could maybe smoothcall this since you DO have 78, board will only pair what, 14% on turn? But I think you stack the nutflush by raising 100% of the time, versus only really keeping in a couple of unlikely hands by smoothcalling, which aren't going to pay off unless board does pair anyway. And if you keep in a hand like the K-high flush instead of a set by smoothcalling, and board pairs on the turn, that's a disaster (especially deep).
Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 AM

ive never once seen a player lay down the ace high nut flush with two cards to come. Have you???

I'm thinking your question can boil down to how to maximize value from sets, and other small flushes. Neitehr are too likely, since you put villian on AX of the suit, and you have 2 more. You also have 78, so set are less likely.

BUt, a set would be more than happy to push all in against you and a foe who he assumes both have a flush, right? So push it all in on flop.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 AM

I think betting the flop for like 1/2 pot or 1/3 pot is good here. Hopefully, you get some calls inbetween by smaller flushes, sets, or even str8s. Then the nutflush guy raises and you just call giving odds to anyone with a set (tho your 87 is kind of unfortunate for that). Then on the turn you check call unless theres only a little bit left then you can c/r ai. Then on the river donk your remaining stack into the guy.

If I checked the flop, I would craise small there so that hopefully anyone with a set would still call then the pfr would reraise.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM

get it in now in anyway you can, before the board pairs. he isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
get it in now in anyway you can, before the board pairs. he isn't going anywhere, but he will fold if board pairs .

[/ QUOTE ]