Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 PM

Default Another Tivo thread...

What would you guys suggest for someone trying to get a TIVO? I have just cable, but plan on getting a dish or something in a month. I'll still have cable and the dish. Are you able to move the box from different TV's without problems?

I'm looking on e-bay and there's all these lifetime boxes that look fishy... anyone have any experience on these? I'd love to have a TIVO without a monthly fee. Anyone have experience with ReplayTV or MythTV?

I guess this is a "get me to fork out $200 + whatever else it costs a month" post [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Another Tivo thread...

I have Dish Network DVR; it doesn't have all the same bells & whistles as TiVo, but it's essentially similar and you don't even have to pay for the box -- just a monthy fee that's pretty cheap. I'm happy with it.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 AM

Do you have to subscribe to dish network? I'm planning on a dish network...
Old 06-14-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Dish Network DVR; it doesn't have all the same bells & whistles as TiVo, but it's essentially similar and you don't even have to pay for the box -- just a monthy fee that's pretty cheap. I'm happy with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have Dish DVR and love it. It's like $5/mo. extra on my cable bill, so it seems like a much better deal than TiVo to me. Can't say for sure, though, since I've never had TiVo. To my knowledge, all the main features and capabilities are the same.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same thing with digital cable. Much cheaper than Tivo, and just as good IMO/
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I have the same thing with digital cable. Much cheaper than Tivo, and just as good IMO/

[/ QUOTE ]
Another vote for that. I don't even know if there are many differences at all. Holds 40 hours of stuff, great gadget. Now if they'd only bring FSN back......
Old 06-14-2006, 12:37 AM

Do these things work if you have cable or not paying for dish?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 AM

No, if you get Dish DVR you need to subscribe to Dish Network satellite TV. But why wouldn't you?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 AM

I hang out at a friend's place that uses MYTH software. It seems to work great for them. But they're pretty tech savvy. MYTH automatically records stuff, automatically finds stuff on the Internet if you want, theirs even automatically downloads teh current weather radar off the internet.

Sometimes there are minor bugs . . . the system freezes. They have it figrued out pretty well though.

They serve everything for their Myth off of several different computers. I don't really understand teh details. Anyway, it's legit -- and with a little tech know-how, it seems to be a great Tivo replacement.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, if you get Dish DVR you need to subscribe to Dish Network satellite TV. But why wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I might not be paying monthly when the airwaves are being sent to my back porch anyways? Who knows..