Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Roller/Ice Hockey.... beginning Q\'s

Hello all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum or if I should have posted it in OOT, but here it goes.

My hometown just got a ECHL team (Stockton Thunder). Being the good resident I went to the new arena. Wow, I was totally hooked. I ended up going to 3 other ECHL games and watching almost every single Sharks game since the Joe Thornton trade. Also attended 3 Sharks regular season games and Game 5 vs the Oilers.

Now, I want to get into it. I miss playing a type of sport. None of my friends want to play a sport daily like I do otherwise I'd just be messing around in basketball or tennis. The problem is... I can't skate. So I did research, found something called floorball which sounded cool but it's not available where I live.

How good at skating do you have to be to play in a small league? Ice/Roller make a difference? Do you think I have a better shot at being goalie, d, or forward? I know there are different levels, so if someone can give me a breakdown on how good of a skater you will have to be in each level. I know I'm ignoring the other skills but I think I could learn those much easier. How important is size in low-level leagues? I'm tall but skinny. Again, does it factor into goalie/d/forward?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking at some quick advice and don't really know where to post. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Roller/Ice Hockey.... beginning Q\'s

In the California area I would assume that as long as you have decent skating ability you would be able to play somewhat competitive hockey, only because of the lack of competition. I would also guess that roller hockey would be more competitive than ice hockey. Where I played when I was younger, there were a few players who could probably skate at a near average NHL level for their current age, but because they were so dumb and had no talent besides speed, could only play one step up from house league. I would say that learning how to skate isn't very difficult, try playing at a very low level for a year until you learn the basics of skating and some other basic skills and then try moving up in levels.

Once you get past the entry levels of ice hockey, you will realize that the difference skating between many players isn't very much, what makes up the difference is decision making and intelligence. I define intelligence and decision making as being able to make the right plays with the puck(skating to the right area to set up passes and making the right passes), as well as positioning and anticipation of both your teammates and the opposing players.
Through watching junior hockey, the AHL and the NHL the biggest differences I see are that from watching on tv( a bird's eye view, as well as in attendance sometimes being able to see the whole ice) I am usually always able to see what play should be made(as long as it is in view), and the players in the NHL are able to make this play over 90% of the time even when there back is turned to the play which absolutely astounds me. In the CHL I often see many plays which could have been made and which would have been made by better players, but they are just unable to make them, because they don't see the game as well. They still make the play a large majority of the time, but there are many giveaways, that you would never see in the NHL. I would say the AHL is half way in between the CHL and NHL as the players may even be slightly more physically talented than in the CHL, but the decision making is definitely a step below. No doubt players are more physically gifted in higher levels, but the decision making is what makes up the majority of the difference.

It is not hard to learn how to skate, you should be able to do it somewhat decently for a lower level player within a month and then be able to become much better at it slowly over the course of a year or two. Learning what to do with the puck, you will realize is much more difficult, and will take a much longer time to master.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM

Any suggestions on Goalie/D/F? I don't really care and would love to play any position. I always imagined goalies needed to be ultra-flexible.. however my friend said he was a goalie for a roller hockey team and he couldn't even come close to doing the splits and said he had the lowest GAA in the regular season.

Of course I need experience, but I think I can develop rather quickly in hockey-sense if I played often. I'm not trying to go pro, just trying to play and spend some free time. I'm very competitive.

I'm guessing size won't matter much in the lowest leagues, correct? How physical are the low leagues?

Thanks for your post!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How good do you have to be to play in a small league?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very.
Most adult or senior (18 and over) leagues are divided up according to ability. There should be one that matches your ability and many leagues offer a beginners only level.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think I have a better shot at being goalie, d, or forward?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have a burning desire to do otherwise, forget about goalie. The equipment, even used is very expensive. Probably 2K minimum.

As for D vs. forward, once you start playing you'll naturally gravitate toward one or the other but in adult leagues you'll often play both during the couse of a game.

Once you've bought your equipment, go to your local rink and play some "drop-in". The rink sets aside a couple hours, a few times a week, during the day or night where anyone can pay about ten bucks and play pick-up hockey. You'll learn a lot about the various leagues (some are better than others), meet a lot of good people, and improve your game all at the same time.

Good luck. You'll have a ton of fun. Everyone I know that play multiple sports almost always choose hockey as their favorite. Once you start playing you'll see why.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:59 AM

Wow, I always heard Goalie was expensive. I thought it would be under $1,000 though.. they do get to play for free.

How physical are leagues? How long do you play in drop-ins and leagues? Do they actually roll lines out?

Thanks again for the help!

Edit: Any big change from roller to ice?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I always heard Goalie was expensive. I thought it would be under $1,000 though.. they do get to play for free.

How physical are leagues? How long do you play in drop-ins and leagues? Do they actually roll lines out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head, I believe new leg pads alone start at about $1600. That's for decent. Top of the line are probably at least a grand more.

You can start in a league right away. Even if you don't know someone who runs a team, the local rink will have postings for teams who need players. Just make sure its your skill level. Contact whoever runs the league. He'll definitly steer you in the right direction.

You can play drop-in as long as you like. I would do it just to give yourself a certain comfort level before playing in a league. I know guys that play in three leagues and play drop-in every chance they get.

Though almost all the leagues are no-checking, some leagues are rougher than others. As a rule, the higher the skill level of the league the chippier the play. But there are idiots at every level.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head, I believe new leg pads alone start at about $1600. That's for decent. Top of the line are probably at least a grand more.

You can start in a league right away. Even if you don't know someone who runs a team, the local rink will have postings for teams who need players. Just make sure its your skill level. Contact whoever runs the league. He'll definitly steer you in the right direction.

You can play drop-in as long as you like. I would do it just to give yourself a certain comfort level before playing in a league. I know guys that play in three leagues and play drop-in every chance they get.

Though almost all the leagues are no-checking, some leagues are rougher than others. As a rule, the higher the skill level of the league the chippier the play. But there are idiots at every level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know it was no-checking. That's cool for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I guess my best option is roller-hockey, but I'm assuming my K2 skates won't be the ones I'm using for hockey. Oh well, I guess it can't hurt to actually learn to master those first.

The rink offers classes, do you think I should enroll? It's 6 weeks and teaches "fwd. skating, falls/dips, hockey position, one foot glides, swizzles wiggles, stroking, turns, mohawks, etc."

No idea what those are...

I wish I knew how to skate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Even if goalie is expensive, do you think it would be the easiest choice? It could actually be break-even or at least on par with being a skater if I played hockey for years (don't know if I have to replace equipment or not...)

Can you link me to what kind of puck they use in roller hockey?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:36 AM

For someone that neither knows how to iceskate or rollerblade, rollerblading is probably easier. For someone that knows how to do both well, iceskating is easier. It's easier to maneuver and stop and less strenuous on the legs.

Rollerhockey is fun but...

Icehockey >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>> rollerhockey
Old 05-26-2006, 03:45 AM

Yeah, but I live in NorCal. There's a lot of roller hockey close by, but I would have to travel a bit for ice hockey *I think*. I know there's an ice junior league in my hometown... I'll have to see if there's an adult one too.

And yea, I just looked at like the first google hit for goalie equipment and it was 1k for the pads and 200 for the blocker/glove. Hmm...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:47 AM

Also, how bad are like the $500 pads on http://www.thehockeyshop.com/catalog...e=S_LegPads_Sr
Haven't made a choice yet, just trying to get a feel on how much it would cost.

How important is equipment (for both goalie and skaters) ?