Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

[ QUOTE ]
yeah seriously. the phillies and red sox had awful streaks through their history where not only were they bad, they were bad every year for a decade.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its hard to compare GMs now and then since FA really changed how the game works. Some teams (such as the Phillies) routinely sold their good players for operating cash. That would be unimaginable today. Could you imagine the Twins dealing Santana for cash so the owner could finance a movie???
Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 AM

Re: Mike Milbury -

The Islanders were ridiculed when they fired Milbury only to hire their backup goaltender as a GM - he retired and became general manager.

He has done far, far better than Mike Milbury so far.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Its a bad call to give an NBA GM worst GM in history status if they come into a horrible situation, because its so hard to rebuild in the NBA with the way the salary cap is structured if you have horrible contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being way too kind. OK so he didn't sign Allan Houston to 20 per. But he did:

1. Trade for Marbury's huge contract, along with overpaid Penny Hardaway.
2. Later, traded Hardaway (in the final year of his contract) and a good young talent in Ariza for Francis (Marbury 2.0), who was clearly not that good anymore and whose contract would be on the books for 3 more seasons.
3. Signs Jerome James for ~$6M per for 5 years (6 mpg wooh!)
4. Trades away tons of first rounders for Curry's bloated contract.
5. Traded Kurt Thomas's remaining $22M/3years for Q-Rich's $37/5years.
6. Not content to let Francis's contract come off the books in '09, he trades it for Z-Bo's, which comes off the books in '11. At least this guy's got some talent and can grab some boards. I wonder if two overweight, all-offense no defense front court players will work together?

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 AM

I thought it was Isiah before... then he got sued for sexual harrasment. How the hell can you even keep your job after that? Isiah may not be the worst, he does have an eye for talent, but his reign in NY has to be the worst ever based on results.

Didn't he physically threaten Bill Simmons also?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like NYK-era Isiah Thomas can't be topped, but Kevin McHale, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness to Isiah - he has drafted well, and he came into an awful situation. He just made that situation ten times more awful.

edit - i'm not a knicks fan really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is my contention with him. He came into a bad situation and take a huge [censored] on it. That is absolutely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that the one way to get out of that horrible situation is to draft well, have a poor record due to your young players not being dominant right away, trade away all your high priced players for picks/prospects. By far the hardest and most important part of that equation is to draft well. Isaiah actually could've done one of the greatest jobs in recent history, but he just made so many retarded moves.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Its a bad call to give an NBA GM worst GM in history status if they come into a horrible situation, because its so hard to rebuild in the NBA with the way the salary cap is structured if you have horrible contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being way too kind. OK so he didn't sign Allan Houston to 20 per. But he did:

1. Trade for Marbury's huge contract, along with overpaid Penny Hardaway.
2. Later, traded Hardaway (in the final year of his contract) and a good young talent in Ariza for Francis (Marbury 2.0), who was clearly not that good anymore and whose contract would be on the books for 3 more seasons.
3. Signs Jerome James for ~$6M per for 5 years (6 mpg wooh!)
4. Trades away tons of first rounders for Curry's bloated contract.
5. Traded Kurt Thomas's remaining $22M/3years for Q-Rich's $37/5years.
6. Not content to let Francis's contract come off the books in '09, he trades it for Z-Bo's, which comes off the books in '11. At least this guy's got some talent and can grab some boards. I wonder if two overweight, all-offense no defense front court players will work together?

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether #4 turns out to be good or bad is still up in the air. The deal turned out to be:

Eddy Curry
Antonio Davis
Wilson Chandler

FOR

Tyrus Thomas
Tim Thomas
Michael Sweetney
Jermaine Jackson
Joakim Noah
Aaron Gray
2009 2nd round draft pick

"I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things."- Yes you're missing out on David Lee at #30, Renaldo Balkman at #23, Trevor Ariza at #44, and getting Jamal Crawfor for Othetlla Harrington/Frank Williams/Dikembe Mutombo/Cezary Trybanski.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hawk Harrelson /thread

[/ QUOTE ]
He was a GM? Honestly as terrible as Mike Millbury is I can't imagine anyone in the world would be a worst GM than Hawk Harrelson?

[/ QUOTE ]
He was GM. I know him as an announcer and he is so damn dumb. I can only assume his run at GM was horrific.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 AM

Assani,

haha.. #4 is already decided, chief. Plus, you're being results oriented. You can't include who was actually picked and say "this is who he traded for". If Tyrus Thomas turns out to be mediocre, it's on Paxson for letting Roy slip.

I specifically didn't mention Lee and Balkman because his draft record has been mentioned already. Thanks for pointing out Jamal though. Makes the Steve Francis deal even more lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harry Frazee

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure Frazee was the Owner. But if you're partial to picking a bad Red Sox GM, how about Pinky Higgins? From I can gather from what I've read his only qualification was that he was Yawkey's drinking buddy.

But Yawkey is in the HOF as an owner so who am I to question?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM

It sickens me that Yawkey is in the HOF.