Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 AM

Default PETA documentary last night

I figured someone would post about that here. I assume some people saw it. Maybe I'm blind and missed the topic?

One of the controversies, of course, is her comparisons between slavery, holocaust victims and our treatment of animals. Without giving my opinion on that, I don't believe that the documentary would have been made and shown on HBO without that type of controversy. I also don't believe that those offended by these types of comparisons would have been swayed in the direction of PETA had she taken a gentler direction. Tactically, therefore, it was the right move on her part, no?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

I didn't see it, but it wasn't an unquestionable tactical decision. I guess it ultimately is for the best, since without the shock value of those comparisons, I agree, it may not have been aired, and even if it were, it probably wouldn't have a thread here. Still, making outlandish analogies like that only cements the mind of the rational viewer that PETA is a bunch of uncompromising whackjobs, not people who have a few reasonable points. People who might have been willing to compromise on some issues, or who might choose to respectfully (and tacitly) disagree with them may be moved to actively oppose or thwart their efforts.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 AM

This issue can't be too controversial for the lounge, can it?

I'm disappointed. Wouln't we all kill countless random humans for the safety of our dogs or houses or cars?

I plan on owning pets, eating meat and taking full advantage of the benefits of animal research until I breathe my last breath. Still, for a variety of reasons, I respect the hell out of PETA and more importantly what I believe they have and will accomplish.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm disappointed. Wouln't we all kill countless random humans for the safety of our dogs or houses or cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I get to pick which humans?

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on owning pets, eating meat and taking full advantage of the benefits of animal research until I breathe my last breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Still, for a variety of reasons, I respect the hell out of PETA and more importantly what I believe they have and will accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

From their president:

When we were in Savannah, she told me, in the most unequivocal terms, that the world would be an infinitely better place without humans in it at all.

Or:

Six million people died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughterhouses.

Haven't seen the documentary, but I have no respect for PETA, and can't imagine that would ever change.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 AM

To judge the efficacy of outlandish statements comparing one's agenda to issues surrounding the holocaust, we need to get into far touchier subject matter than this. This is as close to nothing at all as possible.

Let's look at anti-abortion proponents instead. They call abortion a holocaust, compare abortion doctors to Josef Mengele, and spout numbers like 6 million dead in an effort to make comparisons to the Holocaust of WW2. Some of them openly support the murder of abortion doctors. A great many support the harassment of not only workers in the abortion clinics, but their children, and such behavior has frequently included the literal stalking of children from their schools to homes, berating them with anything from insults to threats against both their parents and themselves. (So much for Islam being the violent and intolerant religion, eh?) Some laymen and preachers themselves have indirectly comforted the most extreme members of the anti-abortion sects by refusing to condemn murder of abortion clinic personnel, and insisting such acts will continue.

If we want to seriously discuss moral issues and the way metaphors are used, it's no use to retreat to the back yard and politeness over a few soft cocktails. One must grab the bull by the horns. It is not PETA activists that are crazed or tolerant of craziness -- it's you and me, buddy. We like our own craziness quite a lot. So enormously and murderously that we turn a blind eye to horrific moral transgressions we ourselves support, at least, by turning a blind eye to it and dissembling about it.

A great many of us have zero ground to stand on when attacking PETA, or really anybody about anything. A murderous spirit is so common to the human heart that trying to assign it to one group or another as if to point it out as something special or extraordinary is at the very best naive and at the very worst reiterates its obvious profitability. Perhpas it is the human capacity for murderous judgment that should be held up for scrutiny, rather than how that judgment manifests itself.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhpas it is the human capacity for murderous judgment that should be held up for scrutiny, rather than how that judgment manifests itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think you and I agree that we all have our dark sides, for the most part society trains us to keep them in check. The examples you use are the extreme fringes that act outside of societal norms.

I would include PETA in that extreme.

P.S. I'm about to make the Thanksgiving grocery list, considering getting in the shower and heading to the store. This weeks schedule may drive me over the edge and onto the fringe. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, if it were to come to pass, I think I'd opt for a nice psych ward where the drugs flow freely and one can sleep all day.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:20 AM

I knew i liked you blarg.

In the end it really is just a motorcycle ride.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pet you love and a unknown stranger have just fallen off a bluff into the ocean and you only have time to save one of them.

Do you save your pet or the stranger?

~ Rick

PS I'm guessing this has been done before, perhaps on your Dad's SMP forum, but I just had to ask anyway.

Edit to add I realize I may be questioning something said very much tongue in cheek.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:34 AM

And so we stand on zero gorund ... scrambling for something to hold on to. Even if it be a grocery list.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And so we stand on zero gorund ... scrambling for something to hold on to. Even if it be a grocery list.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Probably not my finest moment for rational thought in my sleep deprived state. It might not change my view, but I'd more than likely be more subtle at another time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]