Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com

Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Why Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the simple fact that you play limit if you enjoy it more than NL and vice versa? If u like both, then play both. There are all kinds of logical and not quite that logial reasons why people like one thing more than another.

I am a limit guy. I like that you are able to plan almost the entire hand through. I like that no-one can run you over with big bluffs. I like that you often get to play many streets instead of just big bets early. I think it's more fun/giving to discuss with my friends and in these forums, because reads is a samller part of the correct play(compared to NL that is).

[/ QUOTE ]

This answer is awesome, it is that simple! Very happy to have you in our community!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This answer is awesome, it is that simple! Very happy to have you in our community!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty! I actually paid the entry fee this morning. So now I'm truly inside [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are just different games. (not completely, but...)

In limit, your mental standards for "Man,did I get sucked out on!", have to be a bit looser. That is to say, you can't get upset at the people you chase you down. You just look at whether or not your opponents made a mathematical mistake (or whether you did)

The "luck" is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a another case for limit. your tolerance for beats are stregnthened by such. although nobody likes to be drawn out on, it becomes just another part of the game. if one were to switch from limit to nl, they may have built a sort of immunity to beats that others may be tilted by. handling these situations and persevering is extremely important in any form of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I compare this to sparring for boxers. If you get hit in the face enough times, it doesn't hurt much anymore. You get used to being punched in the head. Same thing with bad beats. (That's the theory, anyway.)

[/ QUOTE ]

well put
Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I'm of the opinion that people should expose themselves to as many forms of poker as possible to become a well-rounded player. If someone were to ask me what they should learn, I'd really have to talk to them individuall first to figure out what the best choice would be.

We teach limit because that's our home, so to speak -- but we also have videos on limit O8, PLO (I'm taking lessons in this right now), the limit to NL transition, 2-7, Stud8, and Razz. There are a lot of great choices for instruction out there, both in one on one coaching and in video instruction, and I really think people are doing themselves a disservice if they focus too narrowly on one form or another.

As far as LHE itself goes, it's a game that's been around for quite a while and has demonstrated a fair amount of staying power. While I do actually think that NLHE has a lot of potential right now as a very profitable opportunity, I think that anyone focusing too much on what games they will learn will be susceptible to their game being a flash in the pan, and runs the risk of losing long term EV by focusing too much in the meantime.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Great points here. The wide variety of games you teach, combined with no sign-up fee were enough to convince me to sign up for a six month subscription.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT, play vs bot MightyLu 30/60 HU on UB. Stuckinpgh refuses to play against the UB bots 30/60 HU, and he plays HU higher than that. Crazy Mike has lost a lot of money vs these bots trying to beat them. They're not that easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know know why he doesn't play them. I and about 3 others are beating those bots at a good clip to the point where it's been hard to get action vs. them.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are limit bots out there that are crushing high stakes limit. The only bots out now for NL are shortstack bots for microlimits. To me, that says a lot about the game of limit compared to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are bots out there that play perfect chess. What does that say about chess?

Also afaik there are NO bots crushing good players at limit...yet. I have no doubt it will be achievable in the future however. For that matter I believe a hu nl bot is equally likely.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT, play vs bot MightyLu 30/60 HU on UB. Stuckinpgh refuses to play against the UB bots 30/60 HU, and he plays HU higher than that. Crazy Mike has lost a lot of money vs these bots trying to beat them. They're not that easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know know why he doesn't play them. I and about 3 others are beating those bots at a good clip to the point where it's been hard to get action vs. them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So have you found certain aspects of the bot's game that is exploitable? Are you just a better player than the programmer?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 PM

Yes the bots have certain weaknesses which are fairly significant.

Whether or not they are a better player isn't something I know how to answer. They probably do better than me in some areas (i probably fold too much in certain spots, as does nearly every human limit hu player)but they make mistakes that more than make up for it.