Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Butchered, or the best I could do?

Nothing really noticeable about villain, other than he seemed more passive than not.

Didn't want to raise the small bet on the flop, thinking he's probably drawing to the flush, which a set does well against, but I wanted to take a look at a turn, in case CO was doing something tricky, or if the button actually had the straight.

On the turn, I was convinced this was way too often a flush draw to not c/r.

On river, I figured a blocker bet/fold was way better than c/c or c/f, since I figured he wouldn't risk raising unless he had a near lock (he felt passive enough to not take the initiative against shown weakness). So, I tried to save the most.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $19.50
Hero: $25
CO: $26.95
Button: $11.35
SB: $1.80
BB: $47.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $1</font>, Button calls, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3.35, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($4.35, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, Button calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($14.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $2</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $1 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $16.35

As another poster said in another thread, ridicule me so I'll learn.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Butchered, or the best I could do?

Lead or repot on the flop. As played check/fold the river, there's nothing you can beat and I don't think players at this level would turn their made hands into bluffs on this board at this level. I don't hate the $1 blocking bet though as I think you're rarely getting raised as a bluff (and I think say a $7 blocking bet would probably be worse as a $1 blocking bet basically accomplishes the same goal). Once he minraises your tiny bet, you should call b/c you're getting ridiculous pot odds though.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Fold this hand pre-flop in early position, its a raise on the CO or button but a definte fold up front. Post flop play....wow...just wow. If you think his small bet is weak on the flop just check raise him right there dont wait until the turn, he doesnt have too much behind so it wont cost you much. Personally I might just call down here without raising unless I hit the boat. I hate the $1 blocking bet on the river, it screams I'm really weak please dont raise me.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Flop: You can't let him draw cheap.

Turn: Good play. His smooth call is troubling.

River: Every draw came in except yours. Why is villain playing this so passively? His minraise seems like a bet to induce a call or even a 3 bet.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead or repot on the flop. As played check/fold the river, there's nothing you can beat and I don't think players at this level would turn their made hands into bluffs on this board at this level. I don't hate the $1 blocking bet though as I think you're rarely getting raised as a bluff (and I think say a $7 blocking bet would probably be worse as a $1 blocking bet basically accomplishes the same goal). Once he minraises your tiny bet, you should call b/c you're getting ridiculous pot odds though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the pot odds are pretty big, but do you think the odds against him not having two hearts, a Q with a 9,T,J,K,A, or 89xx is less than ~15:1 (the converter didn't take out the rake)? And then on top of that, the chance that he has, at most, 77xx and raises me giving me 15:1? He has to expect me to call, so I doubt he has less than JJxx.

You think differently?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: You can't let him draw cheap.

Turn: Good play. His smooth call is troubling.

River: Every draw came in except yours. Why is villain playing this so passively? His minraise seems like a bet to induce a call or even a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop: What if I have to draw out? Or, do you mean lead out? I was going for the c/r of CO, if that explains my thought process of not leading out.
River: That was my thought. Did you like the $1 blocker, or would you have done something different? I figured any bigger of a bet is spew, since he's going to raise against either bet if he is at all, and he'll probably expect a call from me since the pot odds would be good, either way.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 AM

I generally raise the flop. As played I just check-fold the river, he's never bluffing and everything got there - I find that these are often thin valuebets with KQ or something.. I certainly don't checkraise the turn, not against someone even slightly more passive than normal.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: What if I have to draw out? Or, do you mean lead out? I was going for the c/r of CO, if that explains my thought process of not leading out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you should be careful check-raising here. Everyone might check behind you and then you screwed yourself. But a c/r will also allow you to get more of your stack in the middle when you're ahead.

I hardly ever c/r in PLO. It's not a trapping game.

[ QUOTE ]
River: That was my thought. Did you like the $1 blocker, or would you have done something different? I figured any bigger of a bet is spew, since he's going to raise against either bet if he is at all, and he'll probably expect a call from me since the pot odds would be good, either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your $1 blocking bet didn't accomplish anything. Not big enough. And wrong spot too. I would just c/f here.

If I had position and villain checked this river to me, I would probably bet it and represent the flush.