Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Small Pair EP PF what now

ok so ur utg or utg+1 and u get a pair 22-55. so what now do we limp, raise or fold?

what if its a tight game where it usually folds through the blinds.

loose game 4-5 to a flop and raises dont keep anyone out of the pot

passive game 4-5 to a flop and raises are rarely made if one person limps
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Small Pair EP PF what now

On a loose passive table, counterintuitively I'd fold a little pair in late middle position if it were folded to me, but call in EP. That's because I still have hope (i.e. I predict) I'll get callers. However if in later position, well it might not be typical but for whatever reason everyone folded this hand so I probably can't play 22 profitably.

If you think there's a pretty good chance of picking up the blinds, then 22 is a great hand to raise with because
1) .75 BB is a great result for 99% of your hands
2) you might win at showdown especially if you get heads up
3) you might take the pot down with a c-bet, especially if you get heads up
4) you might flop a set

For loose tables, you have to distinguish between passive and aggressive. Even 1 or 2 aggressive players can screw up your plans. You do not want to get reraised if raised, or raised if you call.

If you think enough players will see the flop without more raises that causes players to fold, then raising is fine. This is probably not as good as some people seem to think.

For games with better players in them, just fold. Implied odds are almost always important when playing little pairs. You don't have them against experienced players, but you do have reverse implied odds.

You want lack of aggression preflop with small pairs, and a lot of aggression post flop if you hit your set.