Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Help-When i have good hand.

Hello everyone,
I am after few months of training, and home playing+internet.
I have a question:
I am following this days Phil Gordon methods, one of it, which i like is same play everytime, strong hands and weak.
I am raising before folop X3 from bb, and after flop, X3.5 BB.
Anyways, i have a question about this method:
If you follow the method, it can help and sometimes not, for example if you play weak hand, no one can read you and know your hand so it easy to bluff,
but if you have strong hand, for example after flop two pairs, and then you get the full house, and you play with same rase of X3.5, you dont earn the most you could.

I mean, how can you follow this method and making the max money profit from strong hand, because if i am playing for example 0.5/1 blinds, the max i can make if no one raise is 14 +-.

My question, is shall i always rase same and play like a machine? or shall i start raising everytime random ammount?
What i need to do if we are after river and the other player check? shall i raise him allot or just the same?

If you didnt understand what i am talking about, please let me know i will try to make it more clear.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Help-When i have good hand.

The good thing if you always raise the same amount is, that no one can put you on a certain hand.
If you minbet your aces and kings always some time someone will recognize and can outplay you very easily.
Continuation betting has some kind of the same effect. They will never know if you really have something.
Slowplay your monsters rarely, bet them for value.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Hi, thanks for the answer,
But the true, its annoy me, i mean the think i could make more money from AA then i made because I didnt raise more and sticked with the same ammount raise method makes me crazy :S
Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, thanks for the answer,
But the true, its annoy me, i mean the think i could make more money from AA then i made because I didnt raise more and sticked with the same ammount raise method makes me crazy :S

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise more they may fold and you get less money. If you are fairly new to poker what you are doing is ok.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Gordon's ideas I guess have some merit. But to correct you, I think he says that in early position, you should raise 2.5x BB, in middle position, 3x and in late 4x. Gordon doesn't like to limp in. As he says, his legs aren't broken, so why should he? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM

Yes sorry, thanks for correcting.
Well, so i guess its just my greed, i must stick with raises.
But i have another question:
If i have raise X4 in a late position, and then some one re raise me, what i need to do?
If i think i have the best hand all in or what?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 PM

No, either reraise or just call.
Depends which hand you put HIM on and how strong your hand is. Another thing is your position. If you have position on him calling may not be the worst thing. On lower limits your 4-bet (reraising the reraise) will be called often enough with hands that can be worse than yours, if you do this only with aa,kk, maybe ak. But if you 4bet you must be willing to go allin preflop, because villain just won´t fold any pair or ak in this situation on this limit.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question, is shall i always rase same and play like a machine?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an OK way to play. But you don't have to play this way in every game. If you have observant opponents in an aggressive game, then varying your raise sizes preflop might give away too much information. But in many games, especially at lower limits (including as high as 2/3 NL live), you can easily vary your raise sizes on any number of factors including your image, your position, ranges of other players in the hand for their limp or raise, and your own cards. Using a variety of raise sizes can often give you greater flexibility to build pots to the size you want them to be. Even in tough games, you can vary your pf raise sizes as long as that variability isn't tied directly and predictably to the strength of your hole cards.

[ QUOTE ]
or shall i start raising everytime random ammount?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You should vary your raise sizes, but it shouldn't necessarily be random. You should have a reason for your preflop raises and their sizes. In a tough game with observant opponents, having some randomizer built into your play is fine (i.e. I'll raise in this position with XX 75% of the time, but limp with XX 25% of the time, and I'll use the second hand on my watch to decide whethter it's raise or limp each time...). HoH talked about using the second hand on his watch like this.

[ QUOTE ]
What i need to do if we are after river and the other player check?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too situation dependent. Sometimes check. Sometimes bet. Just don't fold with no action in front of you.

[ QUOTE ]
shall i raise him allot or just the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, it is situation dependent. Sometimes raise a little. Sometimes overbet/push. It depends on too many factors like what do you think villain has, and what you think he'll put you on if you bet a certain way on the end.