Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Mormons In Group One

Since they baptize long dead Jewish people and others, I would think it implies that they realize that their beliefs are not so self evident that non believer's must be undeserving people with the type of ulterior motives that Not Ready ascribes to unbelievers. (Obviously I am not talking about the exact same type of unbelief or ulterior motives since there are two different religions involved. But you get the idea.)

So voting for Romney isn't as bad as Lestat makes it out to be.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Mormons In Group One

[ QUOTE ]
Ya see, Brett Favre is is like an Old Christianity and and ah Tony Romo is like a new Judaism. And well Muslim is like you know a Brett Favre from a parellel world. Whos' the best quaterback in the league. Some even think it's Tom Brady, and he's like your hindi quaterback. And then of course there's all these dead quaterbacks that don't play the game anymore. Astrology(Bart Starr), Joe Montana(Greek Mythology), and and Terry Bradshaw.

Now when you have these quaterbacks playing each other the team with the most points and the end of the game is gonna win.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. This sounds like something John Madden would ramble on about during a game - especially that last sentence.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Just A Reminder About Religious People

[ QUOTE ]
Ya see, Brett Favre is is like an Old Christianity and and ah Tony Romo is like a new Judaism. And well Muslim is like you know a Brett Favre from a parellel world. Whos' the best quaterback in the league. Some even think it's Tom Brady, and he's like your hindi quaterback. And then of course there's all these dead quaterbacks that don't play the game anymore. Astrology(Bart Starr), Joe Montana(Greek Mythology), and and Terry Bradshaw.

Now when you have these quaterbacks playing each other the team with the most points and the end of the game is gonna win.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I miss this gem. Excellent!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If it's true, why would it need to be restated over and over again. The fact that posters don't start off stating that premise would indicate -
a) they don't think it is true
b) they think it's a given. "grass is green."
c) one of the above is true but it's not relevant to their post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the most common reason: d) they don't stop to consider the implications of the different kinds of belief.

If the majority of theists are coming to their beliefs through faith and personal revelation, than picking on them for being illogical is completely misguided, akin to saying that a fish is defective because its gills don't work on dry land.

If someone says that he's a believer because he feels the touch of god, his belief is not logically falsifiable. So, you know, stop trying to falsify it. More importantly, IMO, don't call him a moron because he's using a different (yet equally valid) epistemology.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Mormons In Group One

[ QUOTE ]
Since they baptize long dead Jewish people and others, I would think it implies that they realize that their beliefs are not so self evident that non believer's must be undeserving people with the type of ulterior motives that Not Ready ascribes to unbelievers. (Obviously I am not talking about the exact same type of unbelief or ulterior motives since there are two different religions involved. But you get the idea.)

So voting for Romney isn't as bad as Lestat makes it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to understand that there is a very real chance that some of these people are actually looking forward to judgement day! Mitt thinks Jesus will be in Missouri soon. Call it what you like... Dellusional or stupid. But the point is, are we really comfortable having someone who is even capable of such ludicrous beliefs at the helm of the most powerful country on earth?!?!

The fact is, there is no way to know what he really does and doesn't think. What we do know is that he is at least a little irrational. But what if he's a lot irrational? For all we know, he may view it as his religious duty to start the process of holocaust. You're a mathemetician... Work it out. What would the odds have to be for someone we know to be at least a little dellusional, to be VERY dellusional before it's better to fill the job with someone we're certain doesn't think Jesus will be in Missouri any time soon.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone says that he's a believer because he feels the touch of god, his belief is not logically falsifiable. So, you know, stop trying to falsify it. More importantly, IMO, don't call him a moron because he's using a different (yet equally valid) epistemology.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid I disagree. I have read the recent posts about intuition and logic. The problem which was addressed regarding the valid uses of intuition do not extend to being touched by god. We can use intuition to arrive at better conclusion's then with logic when the topics are knowable, and then only after a great deal of study.

The claims that are made with regard to god are unknowable. We must indeed use logic to determine that what is presented to us as the word of god is indeed fabricated to at least some extent. Mistranslated or dileberately enhanced after the fact. You cannot know the authenticness of Bible in your heart, with out first having great understanding of lit.

Moverover, there can be no experts on religion, perhaps religious studies. But the very nature of religion means it's out of grasp of what is knowable.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM

What do you mean by "knowable"?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel like its logically falsifiable. Don't knock my equaly valid epistemology.

or what a load of tosh. Its not about falsifiability, if the believer recognises its a feely type of thing rather than a rational belief then bully for them but they cannot be taken seriously if they place their belief as more valid then others peoples feely beliefs.

chez
Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 AM

If religion isn't knowable, then I sit and wonder how come religious people know so much about it.