Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 AM

Default weird turn play confuses me...

..and I probably screwed the pooch, but I'm interested in other's opinions...

Button is reasonably intelligent and knows how to think about poker, but he plays way too loose and doesn't seem to mind making what he knows are bad calls (I think he's "slumming it" down here at 10/20). He's the sort of player that only really starts hand-reading when he's looking at calling 2 bets on one of the big streets.

SB is a very loose mega-fish who loves to cold-call PF and peel very lightly. He can fold once in a while, though.

BB is sorta half-asleep but can be a decent player. He's been playing pretty tight-passive so far tonight, but I know he's capable of making some erratic, aggressive plays and can show up with some very unexpected hands.

BB and CO view me as tight, SB probably has no clue.

PF Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
a bad players limps from MP, hero raises, button cold-calls, blinds call, MP calls.

Flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players, 10 SB)
checks to Hero, hero bets, CO calls, SB calls, BB check-raises, MP folds, hero 3-bets, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players, 11 BB)
BB bets out, Hero calls, CO calls, SB calls.

River 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 plaers, 15 BB)
BB bets, Hero raises...

How horrible was my turn call? Fwiw, I had a feeling CO and SB would call many hands for one bet but not for 2 (even an idiot could start to put me on top set if I raised there) - getting overcalls from players who could be drawing dead was a big part of why I just called.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: weird turn play confuses me...

raise the turn 100% of the time. just calling is losing you so much value and you're letting hands with an A, 5 or 6 see the river for just one bet instead of two. i don't care if these fish are capable of folding because they're even more capable of calling.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM

I would have raised the turn, too. However, you wanted overcalls and called. Why then, did you raise the river with the big full, thereby losing two potential overcalls?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Bakku, excellent point.

ns, I also like a turn raise because BB has shown strength, and might 3bet, giving you a chance to go 4. With that board, 22 or 33 is gonna pay you off big time. If either of the others call 2, then get faced with 2 more, you get paid or trap dead money.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:38 PM

I don't know about you but when someone brazenly donks into me like that I get a little pissed. Its time to go to war here-you have the best hand so the only question is do you want to knock out the customers behind you chasing overcard draws-I say hell with them and fire blast right back-if you lose them you might be able to get into a battle on the river- although the river card kind of kills that for you as he may have cought his gutshot wheel draw
Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you but when someone brazenly donks into me like that I get a little pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Hey I’m just being honest-maybe annoyed is a more apt phrase. I know the experts may be so impervious to such emotion.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised the turn, too. However, you wanted overcalls and called. Why then, did you raise the river with the big full, thereby losing two potential overcalls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well by the time the river comes the draws will no longer call.

OP: I would also advocate raising the turn.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about you but when someone brazenly donks into me like that I get a little pissed. Its time to go to war here

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
although the river card kind of kills that for you as he may have cought his gutshot wheel draw

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Just raise the turn against 3 opponents. This isn't rocket science. It's a 10-20 game. HU you might want to, maybe, wait to the river but even that is usually a waste. Just raise.