Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Default NL25 small overpair and confused

Advice welcome!

Ok, small overpairs are one of my worst problems, and here I have an interesting

<u>read:</u> When I played this hand I looked up my notes and yes, I had a note on him: "preflop all-in with KTo"....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($16.50)
BB ($12.85)
Hero ($25)
UTG+1 ($45)
MP1 ($24.65)
MP2 ($5.60)
CO ($20.50)
Button ($23.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.80) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> Given my note on him, I expect him to call with any two here, so any next card 9 and higher will give me some headaches, so I just check. </font>

Turn: ($1.80) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.25</font>, BB calls $1.25.

<font color="blue"> Ok, just one card to come, letīs get some value. </font>

River: ($4.30) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.25</font>, BB calls $5.25.

Final Pot: $14.80
Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: NL25 small overpair and confused

I think you played it fine but I would've bet the flop. Not betting the flop allows villain to bet pretty much every overcard and you'll have a tough time calling.
Besides, if you have problems with these kind of hands, maybe you should've posted a different hand: in this one, villain is passive, you're IP, no over comes off AND you make the top boat on the river. DUC my point? Hope you don't get me wrong WantToLearn, just an idea...
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Given my note on him, I expect him to call with any two here, so any next card 9 and higher will give me some headaches, so I just check. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good reason to bet pot. Overpair=Strong hand. Take it right here.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, if you have problems with these kind of hands, maybe you should've posted a different hand: in this one, villain is passive, you're IP, no over comes off AND you make the top boat on the river. DUC my point? Hope you don't get me wrong WantToLearn, just an idea...

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem and fair enough, but even here you see that I donīt know what to do when the flop comes.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Given your notes I think you should double barrel for value regardless of the turn card.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM

i think you should definitely bet that flop - if you raise with 88 then this is the best flop u can hope for, apart from one containing your third 8. If he calls with any 2 overs u should bet for value because he is probably drawing very thin.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM

WANNNNNTTOOOOOOLEARRRRRNNNN. It's just so much fun to say! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Preflop raise is goot and this board is pretty safe, why not fire at it? I actually love boards like this because it doesn't take as large a cbet to take it down (if that's your cup of tea). $1.20 is a good bet size, but I'd make it on the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You get the right idea on the turn which is fine. I'm not a fan of the river bet-size, what hand plays this passively and then calls a river overbet? 69? A slowplayed 7? Beats me..what did he show down?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<u>read:</u> When I played this hand I looked up my notes and yes, I had a note on him: "preflop all-in with KTo"....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of the river bet-size, what hand plays this passively and then calls a river overbet? 69? A slowplayed 7? Beats me..what did he show down?

[/ QUOTE ]

He showed down a very solid 32o. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your notes I think you should double barrel for value regardless of the turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.