Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM

Default The Mental Game - Dealing with variance

Hullo all,

I must tell you I might not be cut out for this poker thing. I have played since 1980 on and off for extended periods since college. I hated the variance in Blackjack as a counter and the "grind" trying to eek out with a small edge as a counter. Looking for better odds, I threw myself into poker.
I wasn't a winning player for a while as I learned, but with practice and relentless study of my results and histories have become a lifetime winning player.
As 1997 comes to a close this year has been by no means a bad one. Across all cash games I played 208 sessions so far and have 128 Winning sessions for a (61.54%) winning ratio and positive gain of $4,353. I am not a pro player just someone who loved to play and enjoyed the extra cash that it brought in.
I have enjoyed some success in tournaments as well, am a winning sit-n-go player online and have won a seat in the WPT before with a 10K prize package. I have not re-loaded any of my online accounts beyond an initial buy in in the last 6 years.
As you can see, my results are not bad at all. I have no reason to quit this game. Some of you probably think I am crazy, and frankly I think I am pretty F'Ked in the head too...My problem is this, the reason I quit blackjack , the reason I feel [censored] right now, is just :

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I hate, I mean I really HATE losing sessions

I try to look at my long term results, study my plays and relentlessly examine my game to detect leaks all because I hate to lose. I try to tell myself that "the goal in poker is to make good decisions" and the results are just variance. Make good decisions and let the results work themselves out over the long haul. No matter how many times I try to remind myself of these truths I get bummed when I have a negative down.
I consider myself a nice guy and am never a jerk at the table, all my hatred and stuff is turned inward when things go wrong. It doesn't take two in a row or three down sessions to get me this way, no - just ONE.
I have played two 10 hour sessions so far this weekend, one Friday night, and one last night. Friday nights session was a reasonable one where I finished up $290. Last night, nothing went right, I flopped two pair twice and got run down once by a straight and once by a flush, I had two flopped sets run down. Made one squeeze play that didn't work out and the net result from last night is gave most of Friday nights gains back down -260 for twenty hours of play over two days net $30 to the good.
So here we are, Hero is all bummed out and doesn't know if he even wants to go down to play today. His karma is in the dumper after the loss last night. He tells himself, "shake it off" "get back up on that horse that threw ya" but to no avail - Hero feels like crap! It is so stupid, what does Hero think? Should he win every time he plays? Thats crazy,. He knows he shouldn't win every time, but that is no comfort. He is mentally flawed, hates to lose at ALL.

Don't know if I can get by this mental problem...This could be the down fall of our Hero, he's smart, he won't tilt off cause he hates to lose. He'll just pick it up and book a loss, hates the bad karma of losing.
It has been said that to be a good poker player one must have a certain disregard for money to play well. I use sound bankroll management so I am not playing with scared money, I am not afraid to "put it in" when it is called for. I just hate this thing about having a losing session.
I hope I can get a more healthy way of looking at this thing and convince myself to IGNORE the results focus on making good plays. I just don't know if I am going to get there, mentally. I think I have the worst of it in that regard...
So that's it, my cry into the wilderness for hope and perhaps the wisdom of others who might have dealt with this same flaw in their mental game. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks for listening, just talking about it has been helpful

If you have been here (in this mental state) and have "made it out" to a better place where you just ignore the results and judge yourself on the merits of your play, do tell..

Hero needs your help, thanks ...

The_Bowler
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: The Mental Game - Dealing with variance

I feel like this every other day after playing, i dont know how to get out of it either but i just keep playing.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 AM

Sounds like you have the correct goals, but you might need to take a break from the game and get you head just a little straight. If you are playing limit, they will run you down and if you are playing no-limit play your hands harder if you do not like the run down. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 AM

push flop imho
Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM

variance is a bitch.

went to commerce came up 2k playing solid nl 200 (2/5) and bought in the very next night for the nl 400 game (5/10) lost 600 one hand QQ v AK after a 4bet pf call he calls my shove on a low board hits K on river, a round or two later same villain i have KK this hand he calls 3bet pf and again low fl drawy board, he c/r all in i snap call he shows AK w/out the fl draw and rivers an A (-800) ended up down 3k for the night after flopping underset gg me.

anyway to deal w/ variance i usually just go spend some money that doesnt mean much for my stakes and maybe treat a girl out. oh how could i forget lifting weights too
Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hullo

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped here.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Helps.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 PM

you have been playing since 1980 and your net winnings are not even 5k? quit for obvious reasons.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 PM

That's a lot more than he would make playing Freecell.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As 1997 comes to a close this year has been by no means a bad one. Across all cash games I played 208 sessions so far and have 128 Winning sessions for a (61.54%) winning ratio and positive gain of $4,353.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results for THIS year oops 2007...brain cramp
Trying to look at a yearlong sample to take my mind off short term variance..