Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Phil Jackson is awesome

[ QUOTE ]
Yahoo.com -
Lakers coach Phil Jackson was reprimanded by the NBA on Wednesday for comments he made following his team's loss one night earlier.

Following a 107-92 loss at San Antonio on Tuesday night, Jackson attempted to explain his team's defense - or lack thereof - in allowing the Spurs to penetrate the lane at will and then pass the ball out for uncontested 3-pointers.

San Antonio connected on 13-of-27 shots from the arc.

"We call this a 'Brokeback Mountain' game, because there's so much penetration and kickouts," Jackson said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then he apologized for it on ESPN.

Phil don't give a [censored]

Hahaha I don't care what anyone says you are a funny dude, Phil.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Phil Jackson is awesome

Honestly, this whole thing bothered me a little bit. First off, his joke wasnt really that funny. I mean, I get it, but it just isnt that hilarious. That being said, IT IS IN NO WAY OFFENSIVE TO HOMOSEXUALS. At all, not even a little bit. Dont you think that it is a little warped when the president of the Gay and Lesbian alliance or whatever group it is goes into auto-attack dog, offended mode whenever anyone references gays in the media? Isnt that, like, you know, sort of EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH? It seems like these groups, rather than try and get to a point where people dont automatically think something negative whenever they hear the word "gay" would rather flip out whenever they hear the word gay and just make it so no one is allowed to talk about it or make jokes or TREAT HOMOSEXUALITY LIKE EVERY OTHER THING, i.e. fodder for jokes. This wasnt degrading to homosexuals, it wasnt offensive to homosexuals, it wasnt bigoted, it didnt imply homosexuals were inferior or wrong, nothing. It was just loosely ABOUT homosexuals. Just as it was loosely about cowboys and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Honestly, Phil's comment at the end was pretty much perfect, when he talked about apologizing for offending cowboys and Texans and so on. The Governor of Wyoming and the PBR have just as much cause for reaction here.

This is the Al Sharpton-ification of public discourse.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, this whole thing bothered me a little bit. First off, his joke wasnt really that funny. I mean, I get it, but it just isnt that hilarious. That being said, IT IS IN NO WAY OFFENSIVE TO HOMOSEXUALS. At all, not even a little bit. Dont you think that it is a little warped when the president of the Gay and Lesbian alliance or whatever group it is goes into auto-attack dog, offended mode whenever anyone references gays in the media? Isnt that, like, you know, sort of EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH? It seems like these groups, rather than try and get to a point where people dont automatically think something negative whenever they hear the word "gay" would rather flip out whenever they hear the word gay and just make it so no one is allowed to talk about it or make jokes or TREAT HOMOSEXUALITY LIKE EVERY OTHER THING, i.e. fodder for jokes. This wasnt degrading to homosexuals, it wasnt offensive to homosexuals, it wasnt bigoted, it didnt imply homosexuals were inferior or wrong, nothing. It was just loosely ABOUT homosexuals. Just as it was loosely about cowboys and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Honestly, Phil's comment at the end was pretty much perfect, when he talked about apologizing for offending cowboys and Texans and so on. The Governor of Wyoming and the PBR have just as much cause for reaction here.

This is the Al Sharpton-ification of public discourse.

[/ QUOTE ]
couldn't agree more...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Why is "penetration" only associated with gay sex? The joke doesn't really make sense. Maybe he's trying to say the Lakers are really gay?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 AM

I thought it was kinda funny. Got a laugh out of me.

But seriously, there was no harm done here. Hell, Jackson shouldn't have even come close to apologizing. If they can't take a joke, [censored]'em.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is "penetration" only associated with gay sex? The joke doesn't really make sense. Maybe he's trying to say the Lakers are really gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the NBA I watch it's 5 guys playing 5 guys. So if I'd make joke about penetrating a NBA defence made up of 5 guys I think it's pretty obvious why it would be associated with gay sex...

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, this is pretty much why the joke isnt funny.

But its still not offensive.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is "penetration" only associated with gay sex? The joke doesn't really make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I half-agree, yet at the same time it contains probably the most famous sex scene of the last 20 years. So it's understandable why he referenced it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Where was the 'alliteration'???

At least I think that's what he said in his 'eh, whatever. I have to do this' apology.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM

I think Phil should have gone with:

There was so much penetration and kickouts that it was like a gangbang at Kobe's house.