Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Affordable Poker Software?

I'm on a teach-myself-poker kick, and I want to play some on my computer since home games are hard to find. I'm hesitant to play any online games b/c I'm concerned with cookies/spam, the hassle of putting in money, and risk of actually losing it all; so I want some good poker software.

I've seen people on the site mention Poker Academy Pro, but it seems expensive. Is there something a little less expensive (even if it's a little less flashy)? Or is there really only the one good software program?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Affordable Poker Software?

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you, only been playing for a few months now. Tried these programs for a while, and still have my bankroll online - never had any spam at all.

I bought Poker Tracker (55USD) and it totally covers my needs for the time being. Even for an amateur that just wants to play a solid game, it's a good investment. Only drawback is that it only tracks 1 kind of poker game (Omaha, Stud, Razz, Hold'em) for that price.

PokerStove is free, and gives you a good idea about your equity in specific hands.

Then there's a variety of HUD's (I think most depend on PT though)
-GameTime+ is free, very easy to use, but only offers very basic stats on your opponents
-Realtime is also free, offers a lot more stats, but I find it harder to configure. Not sure, but I think it gives a HUD in SnG's too, where GameTime doesn't. It's made by someone on this forum, and has it's own thread under "Internet Gambling - Software"(list on the left).
-PokerAce Hud costs 25USD, and offers the extra advantage that in some cases you get to see what hole cards your opponent played in the last hand. Only did a trial version, and I have to say I sometimes miss it.

Poker Grapher is the program most people use to put their results in a graph, and is also free (but limited to ring game).

So is PokerEV, while it's being beta-tested. It has the additional advantage that it shows if you're (un)lucky in all-in situations, and if you win/lose a lot of money before or on the showdown.

Software Forum Sticky

Hope this was of some help to you,

Fulca.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Poker Academy offers a "standard" version for ~$30.00. That's what I used when I first started to learn limit hold'em.

PA is really only useful for limit hold'em, not NL or tournaments. But FWIW, rock-solid limit hold'em is a great foundation to build your poker education on.

Also, you can play freeroll SnGs at Poker Academy On-Line. That's a great way to learn those for no money.

Also, the AI takes ~250 hands to "learn" how you play. You'll create a profile, then crush the game for ~200 hands. Don't let this early success fool you. You aren't that good, and PA isn't that bad. Continue playing under the same profile and you'll get PA's best game. But if you create a new profile then PA starts all over from the beginning.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 PM

If you really want to learn, you need to play for real moeny. Find a site that will let you deposit $25 (or know someone with real money on the site who will tranfer that amount to you). Make sure that site has 1c/2c NL or 2c/4c limit. That way, you'll have an adequate bankroll.

Buy PokerTracker for $55.

Now you've spent $80 on your "education." Playing micro stakes for real money is more real than poker software or play money. It is also better because as you learn to be successful at those levels, you also build your bankroll and can move up to higher levels.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM

There are two "good" programs out there- the one you mentioned and Turbo Texas Holdem by Wilson Software.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 PM

Thanks! No, what is PokerTracker?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! No, what is PokerTracker?

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerTracker is a program that gives you stats about your online play (takes hand histories from online sites). Since you do not want to play online, it is a worthless suggestion.

Poker Academy and the Wilson softwares are the best available for practicing on your computer vs decent AI (artificial intelligence or robot) players.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Academy and the Wilson softwares are the best available for practicing on your computer vs decent AI (artificial intelligence or robot) players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably e flammed big time for this but how about DN's "Stacked" poker game? Daniel has raved about the AI in the game.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Just say NOOOOOOOOOO! to Stacked. I think it's a useless program. Good for 'blowing' off steam.