Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Folded AK to raise PF (Standard??)

You should reraise here. I'd make it something like $3.5
Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 AM

I'd love to be convinced otherwise with a little logic and maybe even, dare I say, math but I'm not really hearing any explanations or insight, just "wtf", "ban", et cetera.

Let's ASSUME opponents range is AA-99, AK, and AQs. Now should I be reraising AK here? Mind you, this is 25NL and villian is a typical calling station.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:26 AM

hmmm call atleast..
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 AM

Curiosity question: To all the people saying to reraise, would you also reraise if he was 40/2 over 1000 hands? (This is hypothetical situation, you've never seen him show down any of the hands he raised with) If so, why? If not, why?

I feel like OP is being treated unfairly here. Nobody has given him an explanation. Telling someone to do something won't help them learn why they're supposed to do it. I believe there are valid reasons for reraising, but not one person has mentioned any of them. "Liking money" and "ZOMG IT'S ACE KING!" are not valid explanations.

Example of an Explanation:
Although you would expect 40/2 's to raise only the nuts preflop, it so happens that a lot of them limp Aces and Kings and choose to raise every once in a while with some dopey hands.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 AM

llHessll, it is okay, most of the time advice on here is bad.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In short, 100 hands is MUCH too small a samplesize to even consider doing anything as ridiculous as this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 AM

Does anyone know what his range is? What are the top 2% of hands? I don't feel like working this out, but my guess is that it is limited to AAKKQQAK, and maybe JJ. AK has poor equity against this range, so calling is pretty bad. Since he plays 40% of his hands, he's a calling station so you have very little fold equity against JJQQAK. Folding might be best. The fact that you only have a 100 hand sample does not justify dismissing the data; he might actually even be tighter than this!

Oh, and if you think I'm a nit by saying this, you're wrong. I run 19/13. This is simply an exercise in math. Unless his range includes TT and AQ, then I don't see a problem with a fold.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 AM

2% is pretty close to QQ+ AKs

then again its pretty easy to go 500 hands without getting a single one of them
Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 AM

I think you should at least call this. What is his AF? If he has QQ and whiffs is he going to check/fold? Maybe u at least get a c-bet from him out of it.

If he's super aggro and will get a bunch of bets in with QQ on an A high flop, then it's a call because you get paid off when u hit.

I guess if he's super tight postflop and just check/folds if u hit you won't make money. If he's a really good player maybe you won't make money.

But he's 40/2. He's obviously not good. You're telling me there's no way u can extract any value postflop against this guy? That's all i'm wondering
Old 11-30-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He raised from early-mid position (5x also) and he's raised 2 out of ~ last 120 hands or something. I'd put him on AK, AA-TT, maybe 99. Perhaps I can squeeze a little profit out of him if an ace or king flops, but you'd think that would be countered by those few times he's got aces or kings and a king flops, or jacks on an AJ5 flop...

[/ QUOTE ]
You have 41% equity vs. that range, and you're folding AK for 5BBs to a donk when you have position on him? Do you know how easily most people like him stack off? Your implied odds are great. You should be calling or raising him in this situation with any pair and some unpaired hands as well.

Oh and also, his 2% PFR% doesn't necessarily mean he's only raising the top 2% of hands. Donks love limping AA-QQ, AK, etc.