Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Big stack making big early position raises early in WSOP ME

I was wondering how I should have handled this. Last year's WSOP ME, initial table early to mid day 1. I am in seat 2. Seat 5 is a middle aged Asian, who has accumulated a big stack. He showed aces 7 times in the first 6 hours, playing them stereotypically. In one case, he raised two limpers to 3xBB in level 1, then minireraised a limpreraiser, getting a call and no further action.

Since he got the big stack, he has been raising frequently, usually 4.5 x BB once the antes kick in, and often from early position. The players directly to his left are relatively tough. Seat 6 is an old guy who is definately a pro, but not a strong pro, and very old school TAG. Seat 7 is a black guy who seems to play a fairly standard TAG/LAG game, but probably doesn't play full time. The rest are mostly typical live players who play a little weak/tight and readable, but know how to play. There are maybe one or two real donks.

Now assume this big stack in seat 5 is making loose large early position raises partly because he didn't want to pick on the relatively tough two players directly on his left with late position raises. I also figure he is not that comfortable playing flops, and may not completely understand position, but he understands how to use a big stack aggressively.

Now my stack varies in BBs, but I have enough so I can't resteal allin. The question is should I be calling or reraising this guy fairly loosely.

In fact, I didn't get 88+, AJ+ hands against this guys early position raises, and I didn't get involved against them. I tended to play against the weak player next to me and avoid the three relatively tough players in seats 5-7.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Big stack making big early position raises early in WSOP ME

Make it more obvious what questions your asking if any.

And yes, you should be playing back at the people who are playing lots of hands
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also figure he is not that comfortable playing flops,

[/ QUOTE ]

Call in position, play flops, station when you make pairs, bet when checked to etc.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM

how does he play when he gets 3bet?

I would tend to call more often than 3bet vs this guy unless by you calling you are getting a lot of other people to enter the pot, in that case I would be forced to play tigher and 3bet more often to isolate him and try to win the pot pf.