Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Default some basic hands

Hand 1: 2/4 6 max

UTG (covers my $380- regular tag) raises to 12. One loose cold caller ($250). I raise AQs. Both call. Flop is 4 A 4 r. Any reason to ever check this? If so, why and how often?

I checked. Check, check. Turn is 5 spades, giving me a draw. I bet $115. Any reason to ever check instead? If so, why and how often [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?

Hand 2: 1/2

150 bb deep. I open AQo to 8. Regular tag (cant remember exact #'s) raises to 24. I usually fold, but called here. Okay, or always fold? When might it be good to call, or even 4bet?

Flop is Q J 7 w/ 2 spades. i have no spade. I check and he bets 36. I always feel like check calling here, b/c i dont want pot to get too big, i dont see much value from worse hands (and wont fold better ones) and if 3 bet im in a terrible spot. Seems so weak though. What is a good default line here? What % should this be donked or check raised, versus c/c?.

Turn is J of hearts. Check check. Is a plan of c/c best here? Donk/fold sometimes?

River is a rag spade. I check. Any reason to bet?

Hand 3: I have 202. Opened utg + 1 to 6, I raise to 22 next to act. Unknown utton shoves to 272. Folded to me. I assume such a gross overbet is usually AA or KK at worst? Should I ever call this?

Thank you, and happy second day after thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: some basic hands

Anyone!?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: some basic hands

Too many questions. Answering this would take too long. My short response:

1) Sure you can check this sometimes. Just understand that you are checking for FPS, not because you are afraid of being beat. How often you want to get FPS is up to you but the majority here will probably agree as minimal as it take to throw your opponent off. As played, you have to bet the turn. Win a pot for crying out loud.

2) Sure calling is ok every once in a while. Very player and table dependent. Don't always do anything. Sometimes I will donk this flop with the intentions of 3betting a raise. Sometimes to call a raise. Sometimes to slow him down. Again figure out WHY you called this time and it may make your flop/turn/river play more clear. As played, you probably make more money by c/c'ng river and inducing a bet.

3)I don't know what you have. But I have seen people shove ATC just because they are a manical monkey.

All your questions have too many variables attached to give you any concise answers. Next time, pick one hand at a time to post, write out your thought process on why you did what you did (this doesn't mean 'normally I fold but this time I call' type crap but rather why you called this time. What prompted this change up, etc...) and see if any of your logic is flawed.