Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: 2+2ers hitting up a play money site?

Scary_Tiger
Ranking: 105th
Bankroll: $45

SCARY TIGER BUSTO!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is some information about this on the Technology page, but basically we do translate game events into a more digestible form for Sonia first (e.g. current pot size, who last bet, the button position etc.). This translation stage can be thought of as her basic set of 'sensory connectors' to the outside world. However, the derivation of meaning from this information, how to use it, when it's important etc. is entirely self learnt by Sonia during her initial training phase, and then ongoing on the site as she interacts with real human players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

This makes sense to me. Also, it seem that if this is the case then by creating an appropriately fine-grained sensory layer Sonia should be able to perform decently to very well in other variants of poker.

Have you guys tested her in NL games yet, eg?

Thanks,
Jonah
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Marc,

I hope you saw my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I conversed a bit with the other Mark by email and he explained exactly what you just stated to me. I was more commenting on the fact that IF Sonia is crushing the games then us humans have been making a lot of strategic mistakes against players such as the typical opponents at your tables. That scares me a bit because we (2+2ers who study and think about the game) take certain things for granted that Sonia will either prove wrong or we will all continue to disagree with her about. I hope you could see why this would be unsettling to some of us, a shift of thought has to occur given the potential evidence Sonia can bring to the table about her correct play.

All, at first I was a bit freaked out by the site too, and a friend even told me "do you think they are just modeling your play to make a bot that will crush the online games" but what it comes down to for me is they certainly don't need to go to all the trouble of creating a site like this if that was the sneaky secret goal. I mean they could just hire the best players out there to come and give them strategy advice in private. The fact that they are open and honest about what the site is and isn't is pretty reassuring. I for one think these days limit hold'em strategy discussion often is boring or we repeat the same things we've asked and discussed many times before, but playing with my virtual player and seeing his stats and results and what he concludes about my play from small samples of hands is giving me a new perspective on potential leaks in my game, ways opponents perceive us in a small sample of hands, and then there is Sonia's play itself, which might lead to a lot of things we thought were correct plays being shown to be suboptimal.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

DeathDonkey,

I agree with this. I would also add that, having read the technology summary, I am pretty sure that Sonia would already be a winning bot at stakes of at least 10/20, and likely higher than that at HU games. That is, if they want to use Sonia in real money games to make a lot of cash, they don't need our help.

J
Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Virtual TeeJayOrTj Is such a spewtard. I love it. Virtual Scary_Tiger was gunshy on river. This is first hand I watched of virtual me.
#Game No : 721575
***** Hand History for Game 721575 *****
$1/$2 Limit Texas Hold'em (6 Max) - Thursday, November 29, 23:34:34 GMT 2007
Table Greentol
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Sonia ( $392 )
Seat 2: <BaronSid> ( $115.50 )
Seat 3: <TeeJayOrTj> ( $21.50 )
Seat 4: <DukeApple> ( $32.75 )
Seat 5: <Scary_Tiger> ( $42.50 )
Seat 6: <MayorJutes> ( $12.50 )
Sonia posts small blind [$0.50]
<BaronSid> posts big blind [$1]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to <TeeJayOrTj> [ Jd Jc ]
<TeeJayOrTj> raises [$2]
<DukeApple> folds
<Scary_Tiger> raises [$3]
<MayorJutes> folds
TeeJayOrTj: Go Virtual Me
Sonia calls [$2.50]
<BaronSid> folds
<TeeJayOrTj> raises [$2]
<Scary_Tiger> calls [$1]
Sonia calls [$1]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7d, Qh, 2d ]
Sonia checks
<TeeJayOrTj> bets [$1]
<Scary_Tiger> raises [$2]
Sonia folds
<TeeJayOrTj> raises [$2]
<Scary_Tiger> raises [$2]
<TeeJayOrTj> calls [$1]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 7c ]
<TeeJayOrTj> bets [$2]
<Scary_Tiger> raises [$4]
<TeeJayOrTj> calls [$2]
** Dealing River ** [ Qd ]
<TeeJayOrTj> checks
<Scary_Tiger> checks
<TeeJayOrTj> shows [ Jd, Jc ] Two Pair, Queens and Jacks
<Scary_Tiger> shows [ Ks, Kc ] Two Pair, Kings and Queens
<Scary_Tiger> wins $29 from the main pot with Two Pair, Kings and Queens
The time at which the hand ended: Thursday, November 29, 23:35:25 GMT 2007

[/ QUOTE ]

I played like 50 hands one time earlier this month, and probably didn't play too good, but I really like how I virtually played this hand.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scary_Tiger
Ranking: 105th
Bankroll: $45

SCARY TIGER BUSTO!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2007, 03:54 PM

I heard scary tiger is busto
Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 AM

it crashed on me with AA otb and folded me, and when it got back going i saw the flop was AAx.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There is some information about this on the Technology page, but basically we do translate game events into a more digestible form for Sonia first (e.g. current pot size, who last bet, the button position etc.). This translation stage can be thought of as her basic set of 'sensory connectors' to the outside world. However, the derivation of meaning from this information, how to use it, when it's important etc. is entirely self learnt by Sonia during her initial training phase, and then ongoing on the site as she interacts with real human players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

This makes sense to me. Also, it seem that if this is the case then by creating an appropriately fine-grained sensory layer Sonia should be able to perform decently to very well in other variants of poker.

Have you guys tested her in NL games yet, eg?

Thanks,
Jonah

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. A different type of game means an entirely different program.