Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Default New member, first post

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, about two years or so and have learnt a lot from you guys! For some reason I haven't posted anything myself, so I thought I should just write something to get me going.

I am a swedish 31-year old guy who just loves playing poker. I have been playing online for about three years and are struggling to be a winning player. I have evolved from a giant loser to a very marginal loser [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously I think I have become a much better player since I first started, but I am learning every day.

First I played 0.5/1.00$ FLHE and lost big time and reloaded a couple of times. Then I read some books and started to get a grasp of the game. I was still losing, but not as much. I went down in limits and played 0.05/0.10$ and 0.10/0.20$ and succeded to win for about 50 000 hands. I started bonus whoring and turned my initial 60$ to about 1200$. I must admit that most of that money was just bonuses. At this point I have played a bit over 200 000 of hands. When I tried to move up in limits to get other bonuses that I couldn't clear on the lowest limits, I met better players, played worse, got on a long massive tilting period and moved up even more to chase my losses. BAM - no money left...

I stopped playing for about two months, and then I studied some books and read this great forum very, very much. I continued playing and tried NLHE instead. I have played limits between NL10 and NL50 for about 50 000 hands and are almost breakeven. With bonuses and rakeback, my bankroll grows anyway, but of course I want to be a better player every day and eventually be a solid winner bonuses and rakeback aside.

Well, I am not in a hurry and I am willing to learn, so I am sure it all will work out in the long run.

Anyway. I am glad you took the time to read my introduction of myself and I will be very happy to learn from all of you guys! Even if I still struggle with a long term winning, there are quite much I have learnt over the years and I am happy if I can be of any help to some of you too.I will take some and give some, just like I do on the tables [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wish me welcome or ask me to go to hell, but here I am and I am happy to be one of you guys! See you on the forum and on the tables out there!

/SaErDnaW
Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: New member, first post

As I am sure you know after reading these forums for so long, your story is a very common one. So try not to get discouraged by your win rate so far, and remember that the vast majority of poker players lose over the long term. Even just breaking even (or close to it) is better than most will ever achieve.

Keep reading, and more importantly, keep posting. You will learn much faster by asking the questions yourself and participating in the discussions, than you will just by reading. Good luck at the tables! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I am sure you know after reading these forums for so long, your story is a very common one. So try not to get discouraged by your win rate so far, and remember that the vast majority of poker players lose over the long term. Even just breaking even (or close to it) is better than most will ever achieve.

Keep reading, and more importantly, keep posting. You will learn much faster by asking the questions yourself and participating in the discussions, than you will just by reading. Good luck at the tables! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. When I fist came here (last Sept?) I spent a good while reading so I could get a feel for the lingo and what questions would be acceptable. So as much as getting in and posting straight away may seem like a good thing to do - it may not be.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:56 AM

You should be congratulated on your determination and enthusiasm. You are already above most players in that regard. Many would have given up by now.

You need to start posting hands and contributing to hand posts by others- this is one of the most effective ways to progress.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 AM

What a determination. 200 000 hands. That's a lot!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement from you guys!

Yes I am a stubborn guy, I will never give up, unless of course I am really, really sure that I don't have what it takes.

I think posting hands and posting answer to others is a great idea. I am sure I have a lot of hands in my database that I need some feedback on.

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped playing for about two months, and then I studied some books and read this great forum very, very much. I continued playing and tried NLHE instead. I have played limits between NL10 and NL50 for about 50 000 hands and are almost breakeven. With bonuses and rakeback, my bankroll grows anyway, but of course I want to be a better player every day and eventually be a solid winner bonuses and rakeback aside.

[/ QUOTE ] We are kind of on the same page. Go back to Limit Hold'em. You are fine. Don't worry about the beats you had before. You return and you'll do fine. I returned and Im tearing limit hold'em up like never before. Like you I started out on various sites micro(.01/.02). I thought dam this is a long way to go. Last night I was playing 5/10 limit for the first time(I didn't do to bad) and Im a winning player at 2/4-3/6 online(I play 200-500 hands a day. I work a job). Keep playing all the different forms of poker. I think thats been helping me the most. Limit is torture at first, but once you get the swing you are alright.