Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: China pissed at USA: Thread dedicated to theweatherman

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who says that the US government is worse than the Chinese Government is way way wrong. But that's not how we should be evaluating the value of the US government.

Anyway back to the thread, try to have some empathy for the chinese people living under such an oppressive horrific government you have much much more in common with them than you do with your own leaders and as soon as people start to realise that the sooner these things will get better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
China is a despicable country. It's all nice and sweet on the outside, and once you take a peek under the surface it is so thoroughly rotten it is disgusting. Slavery, religious persecution, corruption, executions w/o sentence, widespread censorship. And to give all a nice tint they give us the Shanghai skyline.

And to all you gremlins who are itching to tell me how evil and bad some first world nation (we all know which one you want to scream about, so no worry - we have all heard what you want to say) are, and how much it is just as bad as china - please do some research on china before you ever say that again and don't cloud this up - if it still won't shut you up, then fine, at least I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put. Appearances can be deceiving. It might not seem to bad at first glance, but spending some time there as a tourist and living there can be two very different stories.

Although many of my country's actions make me sick, it definitely gets outdone.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would suck worse to live in China under their govt than in the US under ours. However, if you lived in neither country, the US govt is a far greater threat to you than the Chinese govt, in general. And there are plenty of bodies buried across the globe in the name of US 'interests' as evidence.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would suck worse to live in China under their govt than in the US under ours. However, if you lived in neither country, the US govt is a far greater threat to you than the Chinese govt, in general. And there are plenty of bodies buried across the globe in the name of US 'interests' as evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give China time.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give China time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to get mathematical, China's slope is at least trending towards less authoritarianism and unilateralism while the US slope is trending towards more authoritarianism and unilateralism. And China's economy is growing and becoming more influential, meaning it will need to rely less on force, while the US is relying more on force as it's eceonomic swagger is on the decline relative to other powers. So given more time, I believe my statement you quoted will be even more true, not less.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to get mathematical, China's slope is at least trending towards less authoritarianism and unilateralism while the US slope is trending towards more authoritarianism and unilateralism. And China's economy is growing and becoming more influential, meaning it will need to rely less on force, while the US is relying more on force as it's eceonomic swagger is on the decline relative to other powers.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fair enough attempt, but you assume that these "trends" are occurring without some force of rhyme or reason drawing them to eventually reach the same destination. The reason Chinese people are trending away from authoritarianism is that authoritarianism is counter intuitive to human prosperity, and they are realizing it. If it's bad for Chinese people then it's bad for American people for the same reasons, and all human societies will trend towards realizing it even if the route is different.

Since liberty sort of relies upon your neighbors recognizing it too, I would say that it's a big challenge to maintain a free society in the context of a world that hasn't accepted it yet. There will always be such strong temptations to give in to temporary security. The Constitution came really close to hammering the lesson home, but it apparently didn't quite stick. It still makes sense to too many people that centralized forces can be +EV, so people will gradually reject the Constitution's message since it was such a bold attempt. Our prosperity serves as a good example for other people to emulate, so our attempt at a free society rushed the world's capacity to accept liberty, but enough people do indeed need to accept it before it will stop being compromised. What appears to be a predictable "trend" now might simply be trials helping to expose the error, and (since there is some rhyme and reason to why humans make the decisions they make) it's unknowable when we could bounce back to the direction that's most beneficial to our prosperity. Your argument basically assumes that authoritarianism and libertarianism are equally viable, when the truth is that different actions have different consequences and some will naturally be more in line with what's beneficial for human prosperity than others.

It's kind of like playing Super Mario Kart. When you're way behind, it becomes easy to make up ground because the computer is designed to stack your items and make you go faster. If two equal competitors are playing and one is rapidly making up ground on the other, you can't interpret that to mean that in 3 minutes the person gaining ground now is more likely to be ahead. You have to realize that if they take the lead then they will simply face the same obstacles that the current leader faces now.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 AM

So who am I going to side with, the guy who used a Super Mario Kart analogy in his argument, or the guy who didn't. What a tough call.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And thanks to companies such as Walmart, most of us will die form their poisonous and dangerous products.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose if were a crackhead you would blame your addiction on your dealer. If there is any guilt, it doesn't belong to walmart. It belongs to walmarts customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that Walmart cannot get the same goods from other countries?

But I do agree that consumers should boycott Walmart.

However, if they don't, do they deserve to die, get sick or get injured?

A great deal of China's growth comes from us buying their products. I think this is an important issue. But thanks for the flip answer.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So who am I going to side with, the guy who used a Super Mario Kart analogy in his argument, or the guy who didn't. What a tough call.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. Always go with Kart.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But I do agree that consumers should boycott Walmart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly do...

unless I need something at 4AM. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]