Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Default 25 NL JJ overpair on flop against CR

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $23.90
BB: $17.85
UTG: $34.15
UTG+1: $24.65
MP1: $24.90
MP2: $26.95
MP3: $28.05
CO: $26.05
Hero (BTN): $38.10

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
6 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($2.60) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $4.00</font>, Hero ?????

villian is 17/6/0.75 300 hands CR flop 2/83

generally pretty tight, wins monies, havent seen him make moves. limps EP with KK, doesnt cbet AK alot. block bets work on him, small ones too.

can i just fold to this CR? or should i call and plan to fold turn??? or do i shove?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: 25 NL JJ overpair on flop against CR

What does he defend blinds with? Will he ck raise a top pr hand? If he doesnt make moves then if you think he has 2 pr or set you are done. If you think he would ck rs OOP with a draw then punish him. The one thing you got going is position. Make your commitment decision now. For example:

Fold
Push
Call flop and fold to strong turn bet
Call flop and ck behind
Call flop and bet if ck'd to unless str8 gets there
Call flop and push any play
etc etc

FWIW: I find that a lot of times, this is someone trying to make a play with a draw or TPTK.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM

You could raise with a wide range from the button, so his callingrange is also broader... if he slowplays KK preflop he might definitely have an overpair to your JJ here. On the other hand I think 9x, Tx and a draw could also take this line, I mean you are just making a c-bet which you could virtually do with every hand... I would call this raise and call a reasonable bet on the turn (folding to a big river bet) or call this raise and check the turn through if checked to...
Old 09-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Vs this opponent your overpair equity drops way low vs his possible range. The 0.75 AF is what really tells me this bet means something - when I see stats like this I'm laying this one down no prob (unless I have some REALLY unusual read - which is rare if not never).
Old 09-08-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand I think 9x, Tx and a draw could also take this line

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't see a villain with these stats having these types of hands in his range enough times in this case (and making an out-of-character move as well) to make this call profitable.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't see a villain with these stats having these types of hands in his range enough times in this case (and making an out-of-character move as well) to make this call profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree but for the most part, in this spot, JJ = AA. Would we fold AA here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well people sometimes think they have to make a stand it is a BSB situation after all; if it wasn't for that situation I would have had less trouble letting this hand go. Imagine you are villain with A9, if you lead out you can be floated a lot and will have to give it up after more aggression, so the better way is to be aggressive yourself and give it up when called.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well people sometimes think they have to make a stand it is a BSB situation after all; if it wasn't for that situation I would have had less trouble letting this hand go. Imagine you are villain with A9, if you lead out you can be floated a lot and will have to give it up after more aggression, so the better way is to be aggressive yourself and give it up when called.

[/ QUOTE ]Of all the lines he could take, he takes the worst one? (assuming he has A9 or similar)I have a hard time believing that he could have A9 and then play it like this post flop.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:33 PM

I call and evaluate turn, I don't think you can give up that easy. Unfortunately you haven't included a stat for how often he cold calls a raise pf, but just judging from the vpip he could have just about any decent starting hand here.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM

thats a pretty weak raise. I am calling this and evaluating the turn. His stats are such that he could have hit a set since he has no postflop agg.