Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Default AQ facing overbet on turn

Villain is 33/23/8 over 40 hands. Have seen him betting flop since ive been at table.

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, +1 folds, CO(villain) raises to $6, BTN folds, SB folds, BB(hero) raises to $16, villain calls.

Flop ($33.5): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, villain bets $20, Hero calls.

Turn ($73.5): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villain bets $85(has $15 behind), Hero...?

How much of a mess did I make of this hand? PF raise too small? Silly to not lead flop even though I was pretty sure he was gonna stick a bet in there for my c/c? The J is a bad card for us as now we lose to AJ as well as JJ. Also, for the players in this game overbets are consistently the nuts (have been reviewing regs game notes from my DB). So we pretty much beat A10 and down, 1010 and down and air. Are we felting here?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: AQ facing overbet on turn

Raise to more preflop. I'd just lead this turn, usually, but as played, I'd call and put him in for his last $14.50 on the river.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM

I think its an easy call/push against someone with an 8 AF and 33vpip, combined with our hand looking really weak.

Spivey: Why on the river and not on the turn? surely he calls with ATC on the turn, but not always on the river? ie. Flushdraw. Arguing over semantics i guess tho.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM

River just because I never expect him to have a flush draw unless it's Axhh, which will call on the river anyways. And I do it only to annoy him.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Against a 33/22/8 I'm definitely not folding this. Stick it in on the turn. I really like the way you played it. If he has JJ or AJ so be it, but I think you get shown random pocket pairs and other crazy hands a bunch here.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

first off, there are a couple mistakes you've made this hand that you need to make sure you take note.

1. Make your pf raise much larger. when you make it only $10 more to him, he's going to call with almost anything because he will have position, and since he's getting great odds. $19-$21 is fine.

2. When he calls and you hit that great flop, have a plan. Check calling is the worst. Most likely you have the best hand. The only hands that beat you are AA,AK,and a hand that has a 3 which is very unlikely. Lead the flop almost always. If you think he will bet, go for the check raise. Not the check call.

And yes, it is an easy call on the river since he's playing so aggressively. His range is extremely wide. This is most likely A9-AJ.