Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Am i a donkey to even consider calling the river????????

Fold preflop depending on his 3betting range.. If you call you gotta raise the flop to slow him down and get info.. You basicly only beat JJ here if hes tight.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 AM

I doubt he's firing 3 bullets with air here especially on the turn/river with a 5 and 7, but his AF is 5 so who knows.

The obvious line is to raise the flop to 30. If he pushes, you fold.

You raise the flop to take the betting lead. By calling you're just spewing chips.

edit: There's no way I'm folding AQ IP to a 3bet from an aggressive player. His range is still pretty wide probably any pair, aj+, and suited connectors.

I would be more inclined to fold to a 3bet if we were UTG. here.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM

UTG is a much different story, and i completely agree-- this form just keeps saying instafold preflop but his range is so large vs a button raiser, and noone was disagreeing-- you have to raise this flop to a)slow him down b) see where your at, i can find a fold on the turn vs. a large 2nd barrel, since with your position, hes unlikely to lead again into you if he doesn't have pockets better than queens
Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM

if im in the blinds and the btn raises, im going to reraise with a very wide range of hands.

would call PF with AQ, raise flop, fold to a push. Unless he has AA or KK u probably have him beat and the 3bet PF is not enough evidence to fold on flop.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 AM

Reraising with dominated hands against a loose range may be EV+. Calling never is. Its just fundamentally bad poker. Like calling with SC OOP or openlimping. If you call with AQ here, you should call with AJ and KQ since its essentially the same thing and all of them have loosing equity against TT+, AJ+. The RIO makes things really ugly, like in this thread. We hit one of the best flops - and where are we? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you think he's 3betting light - feel free to 4bet. I rather do it with a different hand of course, but its still better than calling. This is pretty much one of the few cases where I think "raising for information" may be a little justified and actually save you a lot of money.

I dont know, I may be a little biased on this topic. But I remembered from the first card runners videos to always insta muck AQ to a 3bet and never reraise EP with AJ AQ or anyting else dominated. Almost every time I went against this I found myself in a lot of trouble and usually lost the pot.

If you watch Taylor or Andrew play both in 100NL and 1000NL, without history, they just muck AQ to a 3bet like its 72o. And I still remember Taylor being shocked by some guys agressive reraise with AJs from the blinds to Taylors EP opening in 400NL. He said something like "Ok, this table seems pretty solid. Except for the guy who raised me with AJ. This is just atrocious." I think its the worst critique I ever heard from him in all the videos - he usually does not go any further than saying "the player is not so good".

And the second most important thing I learned from CR, other than position, is to pick your flop and preflop spots carefully. The reason GP was so good - not just because he understands the game better than anyone or is a great hand reader. I think one of the main things is because he is phenomenally good at staying out of trouble. If there is any chance that he may be in a bad position on the flop - be it position wise, range wise, agression wise or something else - he just lets it go. He does not take chances unless he has a good read and a good plan. How may people you know limp/fold AQ from the blinds? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 AM

If you feel he is savvy enough to realise you're raising light from the button and thus 3-betting light, I prefer a 4-bet preflop to a call.
If he shoves we can easily muck being 200 BB deep.

As played, I like a raise on the flop too. We're deep enough here that we can fold to a shove, if he calls we proceed with extreme caution.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Is it just me or does the river scream value bet?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taylor being shocked by some guys agressive reraise with AJs from the blinds to Taylors EP opening in 400NL. He said something like "Ok, this table seems pretty solid. Except for the guy who raised me with AJ. This is just atrocious." I think its the worst critique I ever heard from him in all the videos - he usually does not go any further than saying "the player is not so good".

[/ QUOTE ]

further explanation pleasse... im confused by this
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM

Your confused by who Taylor is and why I am talking about him or by the situation itself?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 AM

situation itself... why do you think it was the worst critique?