Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Default hypothetical discovery (what to do with it?)

It is an interesting fact that factoring large numbers is a comutationally difficult task. So difficult, in fact, that the cryptography of the world hinges crucially on this being the case.

Interestingly, though, this situation makes people (people who need cryptography) nervous for a few reasons:

1) Computing power has been increasing exponentially for quite some time, meaning secrets "now" probably won't be secrets ten years from now.

2) If quantum computing ever takes off, the current system is bound to collapse immediately since there are efficient algorithms for factoring large numbers using quantum computers (which don't exist yet).

3) It has not even been proven that factoring large numbers (using classical computers) has to be computationally hard. That is, for all we know, someone could come up with (or has already come up with) an efficient classical factoring algorithm, meaning that there are no secrets.

Point 3 raises an interesting and surprisingly non-trivial question. Suppose you discover an efficient classical factoring algorithm. What do you do with your discovery that maximizes your profit, minimizes your chances of getting killed, minimizes the chance of theft by the government (i.e. it becomes classified government info), minimizes (or maximizes, depending on your personality) meltdown of the world's economies, or otherwise takes into account your particular priorities?

I have been told that the best strategy is simply to "post it online immediately." But I have serious doubts that this is really anywhere close to the optimal course of action for just about anyone.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: hypothetical discovery (what to do with it?)

1. Publish.
2. ????
3. Profit!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM

FWIW a few years ago a paper came out with a polynomial time algorithm (input size ~ number of digits) for deciding whether or not a number is prime. (I don't remember hearing if it was ultimately deemed correct.) But while it can tell you a number is composite, it does not find the factors.

Interesting question you raise. I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:19 PM

1.Break sbrugby's Fulltilt password and transfer all monies to my account.
2.Use proceeds to buy a small country or some other uber-balla stuff.
3.Profit!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:26 PM

I'd just sell it to the US government. If I'm going to profit significantly from it, I'd obviously have to control distribution EXTREMELY tightly. So I need a motivated buyer with a lot of money.

If one had moral qualms about that buyer being the government, you could always release it later.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just sell it to the US government. If I'm going to profit significantly from it, I'd obviously have to control distribution EXTREMELY tightly. So I need a motivated buyer with a lot of money.

If one had moral qualms about that buyer being the government, you could always release it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you could manage to conduct this transaction completely anonymously somehow, you would be killed immediately afterwords. Having access to this algorithm would create such an extreme power differential between the US government and all other governments that it would be insane for them to leave a potential leak like you alive.

If I discovered this I would be extremely, extremely cautious. I would use it to slowly accumulate massive amounts of wealth over the course of years, probably syphoning it out of government agencies, and at the point where I felt I could set up a private security force that could either hide me from or protect me from the largest governments I would start using it to deconstruct all the world institutions I view as evil.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you could manage to conduct this transaction completely anonymously somehow, you would be killed immediately afterwords. Having access to this algorithm would create such an extreme power differential between the US government and all other governments that it would be insane for them to leave a potential leak like you alive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. Dealing directly with the government would be an efficient way to commit suicide.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.Break sbrugby's Fulltilt password and transfer all monies to my account.
2.Use proceeds to buy a small country or some other uber-balla stuff.
3.Profit!

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that you are just having fun with this, but people should keep in mind that personally having the algorithm does not mean that you have personally broken all codes and can manipulate all networks. It only means that an organization with sufficient resources can now break all codes, etc. if you give it to them.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 PM

Thinly veiled brag post... we know you have the algorithm, mods plz move to BBV
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM

1. assemble a team of trustable partners/co-workers

2. get tons of money

3. become God(s).