Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: bum ethics

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you desire to 'help'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Social ape genes. Same reason I enjoy screwin, sugar and fatty foods.

luckyme
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 PM

Yeah, there was physically no threat involved in this particular situation -- I mean I quite literally could have killed him in about ten seconds. It was more the fact that it was freezing cold outside, the guy seemed pathetic, and he was able to persistently plead with me to "save his life" for several minutes while I stood there pumping gas.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you generally a total wimp?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with forgiving the guy -- he's only doing what works for him. My problem is that I can't stand myself when I fold under that particular combination of "sob story" and "persistent aggression."

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the exact same way. My personal stance has become the following:

- I will often help out bums who are laidback, cool, funny, non-threatening, and don't waste my time with some BS sob story.

- I never help out bums who are emotionally manipulative, overbearing liars.

In this sense, I feel like I'm treating bums essentially the same way I treat other people, in that I'm willing to go out of my way for people who are cool, but not for obvious ass-holes.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 PM

I generally tell bums no when approached for money except when they claim they are hungry. I'll then almost 100% of the time offer to buy them a meal. I never give cash directly. Interestingly enough, I get turned down at least half of the time. They just want the money and I'll blow them off. I've had some interesting encounters with the other half. I actually hired a guy once that I bought lunch for. Turned out to be a damn nice guy who ran into a horrible string of luck and ended up with no way out. The guy has worked here over five years now. They're not all that way of course, but you can find the ones who are worth helping.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM

teach the bums how to play poker.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone developed a solid way of thinking about this kind of stuff that allows a bum confrontation that doesn't leave you feeling like a turd one way or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell is Nielso when you need him? Anway freedomainradio In podcast 68 he talks about the welfare state and the poor in which he talks about understanding the situations of why they are in them and how to really help.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone developed a solid way of thinking about this kind of stuff that allows a bum confrontation that doesn't leave you feeling like a turd one way or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell is Nielso when you need him? Anway freedomainradio In podcast 68 he talks about the welfare state and the poor in which he talks about understanding the situations of why they are in them and how to really help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, dude. I was AWOL/MIA from my regular internet action. Moved to Amsterdam, etc.

But yeah, there are many many dimensions to the 'poor' thing. Checks the pods and thy shalt know.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For me, it's a matter of trying to help.
I put in from 5 to 20 hrs a week on a variety of community aid endeavors, ones I'm convinced are helping.
I don't donate directly to bums for the obvious reason that it doesn't really help and in fact is an obstacle to being able to provide meaningful help. Iow, my hours per week would be much more effective is misguided souls would quit being Enablers.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you desire to 'help'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he's an evil atheist with no compassion in his cold, black heart.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Homeless people...

[/ QUOTE ]

OP was talking about bums. They are not homeless. They live in my parks and other public areas fouling all that they touch with excrement and urine and used needles and garbage and crime.

Jail them.