Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Re: online play: sng vs ring

Playing only cash games 25-100$ cash games max, and then playing many 6.50's and 11 turbos along with 5-20 mtt's. I find whenever I switch back I have a new understanding of a postion based play or a stack situation. I might grind out at the sngs because compared to the 50max 6max competition isn't comparable most of the time.

Anyways, I think ring is the way to have the best of it, rakeback, table selection. but we'll see.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I`m not a big fan of online poker but I`ve been playing it for close to 5 years off and on and this is my conclusion on the mater:
- It is believed that only 5%-10% of the online players are consistent winners.
I`m leaning more toward 5ish% because of a statement I heard once coming from an employer of one of the biggest poker sites.
Now.. my guess is that from those 5% players only a small fraction makes the money from NLHE ring games.
It`s just a guess though and I`m basing it on my experience and observation only.
I have a much longer B&M experience then my 5 lousy online years and I`m a moderate overall winner in both but the way I see it I just miss way too much of a crucial info online when I play NL.
Yes there is a lot of helpful software out there but any experienced player knows what I mean.
Limit on the other hand is much more of a math game so it`s perfect for online. It took me a while untiel I figured out that I can make more money playing limit, Horse, Tournaments and even SnGs then NL rings.
I think this is true for most of the winners out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you're saying you need physical tells to play poker. if that's the case you aren't playing properly.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL - this statement is so wrong. First of all poker is far too complex a game to be able to say that someone does or does not play properly. Every player from a complete noob to Phil Ivey has certain things that they do well and certain things that they do not. Second, the post that you are responding too is not saying that you "need physical tells to play poker" merely that the extra information available in live play is very important in NLHE specifically. This is a reasonable point. I think that you are suffering from the typical online player's inability to understand that live poker incorporates many factors that are not part of the online game (btw I am primarily an online player myself). Many online players feell that there is nothing to learn from experienced live players - this is a bad mistake to make imo.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Yes Galwegian I agree with your post.
I didn`t respond to the assumption tharheeljks made because it looks like a common thing on poker sites.
A lot of silly assumptions and generalizations are made in threads and I just decided to ignore it because it does not bother me at all.
Also, whenever I try to explain something my bad English gets in the way and it takes some "reading between the lines" or rereading my posts to understand what the hell my point was hehe.
So it`s all good. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Online ring games are far tougher than live ring games of the same size or limit. Thus if you have been a moderate winner at, say, live NL 2/4 I expect that you could struggle with the same limit online. A 10/20 live limit game can often play like a 1/2 online ring game.

The SNGs online are just softer. The better players eventually learn that they can make more $$$ playing ring games. And most dolts that deposit because they just saw some TV poker run straight to the tourneys. So what you find is that its easier to beat SNGs but ultimately the ceiling on your winrate (ROI) is quite limited as compared to what a cashgame ring player can make.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just miss way too much of a crucial info online when I play NL.
Yes there is a lot of helpful software out there but any experienced player knows what I mean.
Limit on the other hand is much more of a math game so it`s perfect for online.

[/ QUOTE ]

i interpreted this post as saying that he doesn't like online NLHE b/c he can't get critical info about/from his opponent- this is simply untrue. yes i have plenty of live experience and i'm not saying that you can't ever extract extra info in live poker. however, i am saying that you can extract enough info online. lots of live players who struggle online attribute their lack of success to an inability to read their opponent (or some other facet of live poker that is "absent" online) when the fact of the matter is that the average online player is much better than the average live player. stiffer comp makes it harder to make $.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:40 PM

ya it is kinda crazy sng vs ring...even the best sng players and the best ring players cant play the other game format nearly as well (in fact most get demolished too!)...Just goes to show you how poker all in all ends up being a game about instinct and the weakness in human ignorance/adaptability
Old 07-28-2007, 08:57 PM

i gotta agree with tarheeel,
my father played high stakes poker his whole and in the last few years he was blind.i sat behind him and whispered his hole cards to him and he did just fine.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, I think ring is the way to have the best of it, rakeback, table selection. but we'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you have more rakeback in ring games is because you pay more rake. This is not an advantage.

Paul
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM

what levels can you compare ring games with tournies? the consensus seems to be that ring games are tougher, so what level of tournie is comparable to say 1/2 or 2/4 NLH ring games? I only ask as i play these levels and generally dont play tournies much
Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 AM

Interesting question Paul. I've also tried to answer that myself, as I find that there is quite a difference in style from Ring games to SnG tourneys.

From my own personal experience, and comparing my ability to win at different levels of cash game and single table SnGs, I think a $10 SnG is the same level of difficulty as a $0.10/$0.25 NL Ring game. Anyone have an opinion on this?