Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Turn decision for stack, in position

Private home game, 10/25 NL, 5-handed, buy-in capped at $3K.

Non-regular villian involved in the hand was for the most part playing cautiously and up a little bet. About an hour in, I have not seen him try to make a play on anybody or three-bet yet. Effective stacks are a little over 3.5K at start of the hand. I started out playing tightly but have seen some playable hands lately and appear to be aggressive, and took a pot down with a continuation bet just earlier.

I'm on the button with king-jack offsuit and table folds to me. I raise to $100. Small blind and big blind non-regular villian described before both call very quickly.

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot: $300
Small blind checks, Villian checks, Hero bets $225, Small blind folds, Villian check-raises to $625, after a slight hesitation Hero calls $400.

Board becomes J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Pot: $1550
Villians bets $1150, Hero ????

Another question- should I re-raise in this situation on the flop?

thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Turn decision for stack, in position

I think the flop call is best.It's def a spot where he can have some decent draws, and possibly play for stacks and take the pot away from you on flop if you 3 bet. I think calling for pot control is fine. After he bets the turn, readless I give him the pot most of the time. He seems like he either has a big draw with alot of outs, or maybe a set. It will be a real tough river decision if you decide to call the turn. I dont think calling the turn would be much of an option, because I feel like at that point I have to play for stacks.Most of time I just give him benifit of doubt for his solid image and fold to his strong turn bet.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 AM

To me that hand just screams AJ. I would put him on exactly that.

Evidence... he doesn't reppop you preflop. AQ, AK, JJ+ (all likely his calling range out of his position giving his is playing very tight) are likely to reraise you preflop. AJ likes to call and look at the flop.

When a vunerable hand like AJ hits top pair, check raise is usually the best play, since slow playing is too dangerous and a continuation bet may look like a bluff on this board.

Finally, with a second draw showing up on the board AJ is going to really want to get you out of the hand. If he has been playing tight (possibly scared) even more so. (Especially if he is up a little bit, this little bit more could make him feel pretty good.) Even if you are being a little aggressive I would think a he would not pick an out of position hand to make a move if he hasn't made any other moves all night.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the input Ova and SS i appreciate it. What actually happened was I sat there and thought about it for a while, and eventually shoved. He thought for a moment and then called with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] came on the river. Even though I didn't have a real read on the guy, in the end, I just felt that he didn't want a call and put him on some kind of big draw or a pair and a flush draw. I didn't mention in the orig post, but when he bet the turn, he bet immediately with no hesitation, which to me showed some weakness, and I thought that he might have bet less on the turn with a set or two-pair if he really wanted a call. If i can get one more question in, in your opinion, was my line of reasoning poor in this situation against an unknown, despite me being right this one time?