Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 AM

Default experiments in ACism

So it seems an unfortunate fact of life that current governments and populations are not going to be going AC any time soon. I'm sure, however, that the idea of the world's ACists coming together to form their own community has been played around with many times -- what keeps this from happening, and if it ever did happen what would be immediate challenges to the society working as it should?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Re: experiments in ACism

A group of Libertarians are trying to do something very similar to this. Check out The Free State Project.

Basically they're trying to get 20,000 libertarians (I'm sure ACists would be welcome as well) to move to New Hampshire in order to create an environment where freedom-loving people could have a significant political impact. They chose NH because of all the states, it's the most freedom-loving by several metrics such as a lack of reliance on federal funding, low taxes, not many state-stipulated victimless crimes, etc.

While Libertarians aren't quite ACists, they're certainly the closest thing to it that can even remotely be considered 'mainstream'. While I doubt I'll actually participate in this, I think it's a very interesting idea. If NH had the weather of California I could see myself seriously considering moving there for this.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 AM

I like that particular idea myself -- but there's no getting rid of the federal intrusion. I'm referring more to the "buy an island and declare independence" (or whatever) type of ideas...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 AM

Actually, looking at that website I came across this: http://www.freestateproject.org/file...Move-to-NH.pdf

Basically a list of reasons why NH is favorable to liberty-minded people. The list is a lot better than I thought it would be (given that at least in some sense it was written as a propaganda piece). Maybe I will move there...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:57 AM

Costa Rica - good weather. no military.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:43 AM

It's not easy to convince a government to give up part of their country to someone who wants to start a country.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Wow -- that got buried fast. I'll bump for the benefit of anyone who might want to reply during "peak hours."
Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what keeps this from happening, and if it ever did happen what would be immediate challenges to the society working as it should?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Producers create a prosperous market.
2) People from many walks of life come to live and work in it.
3) Demagogues rally the masses into thinking that they are oppressed and that they can do something better.
4)
Old 04-19-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what keeps this from happening, and if it ever did happen what would be immediate challenges to the society working as it should?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Producers create a prosperous market.
2) People from many walks of life come to live and work in it.
3) Demagogues rally the masses into thinking that they are oppressed and that they can do something better.
4)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another president who's a much better reason, but people always get the wrong idea when he's mentioned. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like that particular idea myself -- but there's no getting rid of the federal intrusion. I'm referring more to the "buy an island and declare independence" (or whatever) type of ideas...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva
Closed Thread