Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Improving your game

I am interested in how and what people do to improve their game.
Maybe me and others can learn a few ways.
I invite anyone who is interested to post a short story about what he does to improve.

I will start:
When I play a session, I save all hands I am not sure about in a document. After the session I post hands on the forum and I check the ICM hands in SNG wizzard. I used to take a print screen of the tables and paste it in the document, to have the stats of PAHUD of all players. Now I look for the stats in the PT database. I use those stats (VP$IP and PFR%) to set 'accurate' ranges. I also show some 'general' hands to other people for review. I chat with some people about poker as well.

Also I read most posted hands on the forum around my buyin and reply in some. I also try to read books. I am currently reading The Poker Mindset (very good IMO). I review some hands/tournies played by other people as well. Oh and of course I play a lot.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Improving your game

I record 2 sets of 4-tables every day, making a video of my play with my commentary. If I get in a 'tuff spot during the recording, I will give a commentary to "myself" on how and why I play the hand. I have a program called SnagIt with which I make a screenshot of the hand. After the set is done I go through all the 'tuff situations. If I cant figure out the best play after I recorded the movie/set and reviewed the screenshots, I post the hand on 2+2. (which doesnt happen that often lol).
I'm guessing those videos I record every day are worth a big bunch of money... but I dont feel like putting them online or selling them. maybe in the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also I've invested hundreds(if not thousands) of dollars in software/hardware/knowledge/subscriptions.. and still am adding to it. I guess if you aren't willing to make these investments, you will have a very hard time to improve as a poker player.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 PM

I have a couple ideas that I'm saving for my pooh-bah post which will be in the next few days.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I record 2 sets of 4-tables every day, making a video of my play with my commentary. If I get in a 'tuff spot during the recording, I will give a commentary to "myself" on how and why I play the hand. I have a program called SnagIt with which I make a screenshot of the hand. After the set is done I go through all the 'tuff situations. If I cant figure out the best play after I recorded the movie/set and reviewed the screenshots, I post the hand on 2+2. (which doesnt happen that often lol).
I'm guessing those videos I record every day are worth a big bunch of money... but I dont feel like putting them online or selling them. maybe in the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also I've invested hundreds(if not thousands) of dollars in software/hardware/knowledge/subscriptions.. and still am adding to it. I guess if you aren't willing to make these investments, you will have a very hard time to improve as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You record the video and give commentary live? Also what software/subscriptions have you got?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 PM

What I do is, after every session:

Run through each game quickly using SNPT while the situations are still fresh in my mind. I then either figure out what I did wrong right on the spot or I make a note of it to go back and review it more in depth.

Of the ones I make a note of, I usually go back and look at them in morning when I am not playing. Most of the time you can figure things out yourself, but if I am still unsure I'll post it on 2+2 or discuss with friends.

One thing that really helped me out to not only review your session in depth but make jot down what was a better way of playing it or what could be another +EV way of playing it.

The important thing though is to actually APPLY your observations into your play in the next session. Easy to say but many times, at least for myself, you can get into robotic mode and play each hand exactly the same way...as oppoesd to adjusting to your opponet and the looseness of the table.

Like for instance, after reviewing my session I find I am not getting enough value out of my AK's. So I recently implemented limping AK on looser tables where there is a good chance there will be a raise behind me. If there is a raise, I can re-shove and get donkeys to call me off with crap hands.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:40 PM

coaching other players and making videos actually helps me improve my game even at high buy ins in ways that i could not otherwise focus in on.

i also put my tournaments into hand replayers at random and run through them, making notes on my play and running close shoves to make sure i have a good feel for any grey-area spots.

i post on here a ton and talk with good tournament players on aim constantly.

i never stop trying to learn and absorb situations, scenarios, factors, theory, principles, opinions.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:55 PM

your stuff is all really good, and id recommend it to anyone who's new/struggling @ sng's. also what amt said about making videos and coaching, sometimes when i play i pretend in my head im making a video or helping a noob, etc. lame but it helps me focus.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:58 PM

After you have a large sample use PT to examine what type of hands/levels you are losing money. Post some of these hands and get advice.

Pick a couple guys posting/playing at your level that you believe have a good grasp on the game or at a similar understanding that you are. PM them, exchange some HHs and discuss. If there's a debate you can always post the hands in question for others opinions.

If you have some regulars that have played a number of games with, examine their play and try and figure out what their standard pushing/calling ranges are at different levels/positions chip stacks etc. Plug these into SNGPT, and note what your pushing/calling ranges should be against them and put these in your notes on them to have at the table. Also look for anything you can find that you can exploit about their game.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 PM

I do have some concentration problems when I have already played a few sessions, especially early levels. It does not affect my play/result much and in later levels I am focused again. (Pretending to) make a video/coach might help.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes when i play i pretend in my head im making a video or helping a noob, etc. lame but it helps me focus.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good thing, it's important to be able to justify and articulate in your mind the thought process behind the decisions you make. By doing this you can often figure out better lines to take, or spot leaks in your game while you are at the table.