Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: New York Giants

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, how the [censored] are the WRs below average? Plaxico, Amani, Shockey--yes, I know he's a TE--are all well above average. People who don't watch Toomer play think he's average. He's not. He's good. BUrress is an ass but has a ton of talent is def not average.

I also think Steve Smith was a great pick and expect maybe something out of Lil Santana.

I think the Giants suck. I just don't think their WR do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plaxico rates well below average in % of balls caught that were thrown to him - with every QB he's ever had. He's a fantastic talent but he is garbage at route running. He's also rather undisciplined.

Amani Toomer is coming off ACL surgery.

Shockey - meh. Hurt too often, and not the best route runner either. He also has the drops.

Maybe they're still slightly above average but nothing spectacular.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, how the [censored] are the WRs below average? Plaxico, Amani, Shockey--yes, I know he's a TE--are all well above average. People who don't watch Toomer play think he's average. He's not. He's good. BUrress is an ass but has a ton of talent is def not average.

I also think Steve Smith was a great pick and expect maybe something out of Lil Santana.

I think the Giants suck. I just don't think their WR do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plaxico rates well below average in % of balls caught that were thrown to him - with every QB he's ever had. He's a fantastic talent but he is garbage at route running. He's also rather undisciplined.

Amani Toomer is coming off ACL surgery.

Shockey - meh. Hurt too often, and not the best route runner either. He also has the drops.

Maybe they're still slightly above average but nothing spectacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took issue with the "below average" characterization." Never said spectacular.

Also, all those things Plax is, and I would call him worse, he still demands double teams.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, how the [censored] are the WRs below average? Plaxico, Amani, Shockey--yes, I know he's a TE--are all well above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plaxico is at best an average #1 WR. Toomer will turn 33 a few days into the season, and is coming off a season-ending ACL injury -- expecting even average #2 WR production from him seems optimistic, to say the least. There's nothing of any consequence behind those two, unless Smith happens to be an above average 2nd Round WR.

I was just talking about WRs before but, yes, Shockey is an above average starting TE. Unfortunately, the depth at the position is atrocious.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Glad you clarified. I thought you were rating these guys individually against an average WR, not in terms of their depth chart ranking.

I agree about all, but I do maintain that Toomer will surprise this year. He's a pro.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM

I'm a huge Giants fan. I'm glad we finally have a thread, haha. Give me some time to read the replies and I'll add my thoughts as well
Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To my understanding they reworked his contract for the next 5 seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. Then they can't really rebuild because they would be wasting their investment in Eli. AKA they're in limbo and are stuck plugging holes on a .500 team.

[ QUOTE ]
It would not make sense to dump a QB that has nearly 50 TDs in his first full two seasons as a starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't use this in isolation. Number of touchdown passes, by itself, is irrelevant. How many picks does he have? What's his completion percentage? What's his QBRating/DVOA? Exactly.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 PM

They're not dumping Eli. The Giants chose to re-up Coughlin for a year while waiting on Belickeck/Fox/Cowher. Its a risky move, considering how much they've invested in Eli. But its the move they chose.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 PM

Our esteemed head coach, Mr. Tom Coughlin. I swear, he's 60 going on 3 years old.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It would not make sense to dump a QB that has nearly 50 TDs in his first full two seasons as a starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't use this in isolation. Number of touchdown passes, by itself, is irrelevant. How many picks does he have? What's his completion percentage? What's his QBRating/DVOA? Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many games has starting Giant WR's/TE's missed the past couple years due to injury? how many times has Eli had successful 2 minute drills? how many successful game winning drives? ... whatever, regardless, suggesting that the giants should have blow up their roster including getting a new QB is ridiculous
Old 08-09-2007, 04:43 AM

So you're seriously suggesting that Eli Manning is anything more than a below average to average starting quarterback who makes #1 overall pick money?