Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 04:05 PM

Default question for the experts!

I have a question for the experts on this site. I was recently playing online on PPdotcom in a 350 people NL Hold'em tournament with 100 buy in. I was on the button at a 10 players table with blinds 100/200 and I was holding a monster: KK. The first three players after the BB folded, one limper, another two folded, the person to my right limped in too. So there where the two blinds, two calls and me. I tried to put to practice Sklansky's fundamental theorem of poker which supposedly will make you a winner if you correctly apply it!! So I thought: what would my opponents do if they knew what I had? They would fold, of course. So let's make them do their first mistake and not fold. So I modestly checked to keep them from folding. The SB raised to 300, the BB called and the limpers behind called. At this moment I thought they might have some sort of hands and wanted to thin the field a little. So I raised to 900. All (except the initial raiser who folded) called and we had a flop: 5,K,2. My hand was a killing KKK!!! The pot 4200. The BB raised 500. The first limper called, the limper to my right called to. So I paused for a moment and I thought it is time to see what BB holds. I saw him play a lot of A2, A3, A4 all night and he usually raises like this when he is on a draw. So I reraised to 4500. BB folded and the two limpers called. Pot now: 17200. That was good. I got rid of the BB and I am up against two players and holding a monster hand. The first limper goes all in for his remaining 3000. That didn't worry me too much. The one to my right raises to 8000. making the pot 28200. He had 7000 left. I had 15100 left before to act. I felt it is time to act and I raise to 15000 and put him all in. And guess what?? He calls.
The Turn is 8, and then the River 7. The first limper shows three 5s and he loses, I proudly show my three Ks and....I loose!!! to the guy to my right who turns a pathetic 6,9 not suited and makes a straight!! Now, you tell me gentlemen, what did I do wrong!!! Both me and the other player who had three 5s, what did we do wrong? In my opinion we applied the wonderful, so fundamental and smart theorem of poker which makes you a winner, and we lost in front of a completely retarded player. I took the time to read books you recommend, to read your opinion on this site which I really like, I didn't take it easy, and I see poker as a serious matter and as a game of skill and intelligence, of making the right decisions at the right time. But when I loose in front of a teenager who writes after that in the chat window: "yeaaah babeee, [censored] the suckers!" I feel like somebody is pissing on my newly acquired Rembrandt. And most of the hands I loose are like this. Any word of advice would be much appreciated. Respectfully, M <font color="blue">
Old 03-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: question for the experts!

Tough beat but you cant base your whole poker career on the outcome of a single hand. The skill factor will impact your outcome over the long haul.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:13 PM

1) Paragraphs are awesome
2) Hand converters are awesome

Once you've gotten points 1 and 2 covered, maybe I can give you some advice but it would take 10 minutes of work just to figure out the action in the hand.

Also...

3) The word is "lose"
Old 03-16-2006, 05:14 PM

You can't say "retarded" in here
Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he said EXPERTS Skjonne
Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM

Why did you want to limp with KK in a multi-way pot in the first place? That is asking for disaster. You had a second chance to thin the field when SB raised but still just called.. Those 2 plays essentially lead to all sorts of hands that could beat you by showdown.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:17 PM

You need to raise preflop. You don't want a multi-way pot with KK. By checking you are letting people see cheap flops with weak aces and other holdings that can beat you.

RAISE. Slowplaying KK only applies in very rare cases, but definately NOT in multi-way pots.

Also, I know this is your first post, but there is a seperate forum for bad beats. This is a bad beat post. Please post there next time if you are questioning your "luck".

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he said EXPERTS Skjonne

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Sorry. I read it as Perverts

your raise to 900 was giving 7-1 odds? (hard to figure out w/o reading this thing a few times), anyone with a good hand or possible strong calling hand is going to call that, 69 is neither of those but poker happens.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:18 PM

I think you should go to the BBV section and start a class action suit against sklansky. His theory is supposed to make you money, for [censored] sake.