Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Buddha Speaks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did nobody mention the golden rule yet? "treat others as you would have them treat you." If you disconnected in a HU SNG would you want them to keep the $$, send it back -rake,or give it to a random bum? Someone mentioned giving a guy that disconnected a fair deal when he came back, then the guy that diss. met him in Aruba and bought him a drink, and who knows, they could be great friends now based on that HU SNG. I think it's the right thing to do to atleast send him half, and then buy yourself something cool with the other half for being a good guy. Obv I'm being hypocritical b/c I would have already spent it on hookers and blow, but I am not a role model.

[/ QUOTE ]

according to kant, (the golden imperative) i think it's ok to take the money and not send any back. given, i wouldnt be upset if EVERYONE in that situation chose to take the money; I wouldnt be any worse off.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) It's categorical imperative, not golden rule
b) that's a ridiculously bad interpretation of Kant. I'm actually not sure what Kant would say about this situation, but whether anybody would be upset has nothing to do with Kantian ethics
c) Kantian ethics are silly
Old 10-23-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did nobody mention the golden rule yet? "treat others as you would have them treat you." If you disconnected in a HU SNG would you want them to keep the $$, send it back -rake,or give it to a random bum? Someone mentioned giving a guy that disconnected a fair deal when he came back, then the guy that diss. met him in Aruba and bought him a drink, and who knows, they could be great friends now based on that HU SNG. I think it's the right thing to do to atleast send him half, and then buy yourself something cool with the other half for being a good guy. Obv I'm being hypocritical b/c I would have already spent it on hookers and blow, but I am not a role model.

[/ QUOTE ]

according to kant, (the golden imperative) i think it's ok to take the money and not send any back. given, i wouldnt be upset if EVERYONE in that situation chose to take the money; I wouldnt be any worse off.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) It's categorical imperative, not golden rule
b) that's a ridiculously bad interpretation of Kant. I'm actually not sure what Kant would say about this situation, but whether anybody would be upset has nothing to do with Kantian ethics
c) Kantian ethics are silly

[/ QUOTE ]

wow -

a. you're right, my bad, got it in my head after reading his post, and quickly typing a reply, golden / imperative
b. is it that bad of an iterpretation? i thought it fit pretty well, i could be way off base, but it seemed accurate
c. yeah, your'e right there, they are silly
Old 10-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Email stars support explaining the situation. Tell them that it was never really a match, and you feel bad for taking 1000$ off him, but you can't handle the fact that they even charged him 50$ for the privilege, ask them to refund the 50$ to him.

Or, just give it to the random bum.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Re: An Ethics Question

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's unethical for you to keep the money, but I think it's playing on the next level to give the guy the money. For you, the satisfaction of giving the guy his money and whatever follows should outweigh what 950 more in your pocket would bring you, and is probably the higher life-EV option.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even more +EV if you can return the money anonomously, that is, doing something nice without trying to receive credit.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all,

a while ago i played a hand on a DP table. my internet crapped out in a hand where i had reraised preflop against someones AA and he pushed the flop. i had a gutter (would have folded obv), but ended up catching and winning.

i send him back the $ of the pot. would you guys do the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I got my fiber optic I occassionally typed in the chat "I give my personal guarantee on DP".
Old 10-23-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all,

a while ago i played a hand on a DP table. my internet crapped out in a hand where i had reraised preflop against someones AA and he pushed the flop. i had a gutter (would have folded obv), but ended up catching and winning.

i send him back the $ of the pot. would you guys do the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] no. would you expect your money back if you didn't hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

the point is he bets, i would have folded but my internet crapped out. i end up winning pot.

board was like 37Jr, i have 56. obviously if i was planning on calling the bet i would have no problem keeping the $.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you didn't disconnect on purpose i would keep the money. I might feel slightly bad but this is the way it goes on the internet. It's something that everybody has to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would feel bad when you violate the Aggie Code of Honor. I hope after reading all the posts you'll change your mind.