Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Move up?

I like paying poker, but I don't have a large BR. I deposited 50$ on FTP a couple months ago and through casual playing I have brought it up to a little over 250. I have made 95% of my winnings at 10NL three tables at a time, but find the rake (10%) is just ridiculous. Should I consider moving up to 25 NL where the rake is only 5%? I feel pretty comfortable at those games and have done well when I have played.

The only thing that concerns me is BR management. 10 BI's for 25 NL doesn't seem like nearly enough, especially considering I three table.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I am not eligible for rakeback on FTP.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Move up?

Not unless you want to go busto or you have visions of god-like runs.

Stay at 10NL now. If you can 'run it up' to $250 over a few months, I would definitely wait another few months to get a stable $500 BR to move up to 25 NL, ESPECIALLY if you three table. One bad run on all three tables crushes your roll. I think you have to simply tough the rake out. You could take a shot at 25NL with just one table and see how you do. If you make $50 in a 6 hour session, then you could maybe play 1 table a time at 25NL instead of 3-tabling. Otherwise, definitely don't 3 table 25NL with a $250 BR.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 PM

I agree that you should stick it out at 10nl. Just grind your way till you have $500 and then move up.

If you are able to put more money in though, you can be more aggressive with your bankroll and take a lot more shots.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM

eh it may just be me but I can not play $10NL for any real time..
maybe occasinally play 2 $25NL and see how you do? its poor bankroll management but when I recenently stepped down from $50NL to $25NL (couldnt find any $50NL tables) i was asthonished at how bad the play was..

Just be careful if you lose a buy in or two at $25NL STOP playing it... yes it could be just variance but going busto sucks..

NOTE: if this is the only way you can ever play is with this roll play super conservative.. I am aggressive with my roll as losing it isnt the end of the world.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 PM

Another idea would be to play 2 10NL tables and mix one 25NL table in. I don't think many people recommend this, but it may work for you.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Nobody says you all of sudden have to switch from 3 tabling 10NL to 3 tabling 25NL. I would just mix in a 25 NL table now and then when you are playing well and feeling up to it. This is the best way to move up IMO.

Lucky
Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 AM

It's perfectly reasonable to take a shot at NL $25 with 10 buy-ins if your win rate is decent at NL $10. Although NL $25 should be tougher, this will be offset by the greatly reduced rake.

People say 20 buy-ins far too frequently and out of context. In microstakes games including NL $25, a solid winner does not need 20 buy-ins to be safe. In midstakes games, 20 buy-ins is too aggressive for many players.

Set a stop-loss, say $100. If you lose $100, move back down.

That you 3 table has no intrinsic effect on your bankroll requirements. If it cuts your win rate, then you may need a larger bankroll because of the decreased win rate. If you play well on 3 tables, then you don't need a larger bankroll. Multitabling, or playing on a site which deals more hands per hour, does not give you larger swings. It gives you the same swings faster.