Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Windy at the WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
I'm staying at Rio and this is the worst wind I've seen here. You really can't blame Harrah's (for once) for not being prepared.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that there isn't a single room available anywhere, and that they HAD to create a tent city?

Sure you can blame Harrah's. It's another stupid decision made by people who had plenty of time to consider all of the contingencies, most notably bigger turnouts.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm staying at Rio and this is the worst wind I've seen here. You really can't blame Harrah's (for once) for not being prepared.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that there isn't a single room available anywhere, and that they HAD to create a tent city?

Sure you can blame Harrah's. It's another stupid decision made by people who had plenty of time to consider all of the contingencies, most notably bigger turnouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they should hold the WSOP at Harrah's Baghdad next year. I'm sure they could get the dealers to work for cheap there....
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 AM

People always underestimate desert wind. I crack up when someone from the east, new to our neighborhood builds a wooden exterior home, like a cape cod. Or a wooden fence. Glenn and I make bets on how long that will last.

Yesterday was bad, but so far no casualties in my garden. We've had gusts over 75 mph easily, and complete white outs (sand). The wind rips into the house so hard sometimes that it sounds like a crack of thunder.

If you've ever seen the Mad Max series, that is what we're talking about. These tent makers and other manufacturers of products that claim they will tolerate high winds, aren't testing their products in the desert. They are testing in the midwest or east, where the wind doesn't just keep pounding for days. They are in conditions where the wind comes and goes, and the "storm" is over in little time.

The desert is harsh, but has a beauty all it's own.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM

That depends a little bit Felicia. On the east coast and gulf coast we do get hurricanes and they last for days. Some places, like Kennedy Space Center, say that new structures are supposed to be good for 120 mph. Last few hurricanes that passed through didn't cause any damage at my relatively new building yet they tore panels off of the VAB and did extensive roof damage. There is one huge difference though...here in Florida there is thick flora and tons of trees to break the wind [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] whereas out in the desert there's not much to slow it down. That makes a difference.

In any case...be safe!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
 is offline

Surely there must be some photos of this chaos, right?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The tent is build to withstand 90mph gusts. You have nothing to worry about." - Security guard at the Rio on the structural integrity of the tent.

On my way to the bathroom during the last break I saw that an entire panel of the pavilion had blown into the tent, landing on a table and chairs and covering them all.

Devo

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a known fact that all security guards at the Rio are qualified structural engineers.

sw
Old 06-06-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the east coast and gulf coast we do get hurricanes and they last for days.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right, I apologize.

I was also assuming that tests were in controlled conditions. Like a factory, with a fan on that was slowly increased to 90 mph, lol.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At one point, there were 6 bracelet events taking place at the same time tonight. I'd have assumed they'd have stopped the cash games/satellites until they could get everyone out of the tent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, you think harrahs is going to stop cash games to make room for tourney players? They already have the juice form the tourney, and this is harrahs we are talking about.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They question is, why did they hold it in a danged tent in the FIRST place? Are there not other rooms in the convention center building they could of used?

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be referring to all the rooms down the side halls that are about the same size as that "danged tent" are you?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They question is, why did they hold it in a danged tent in the FIRST place? Are there not other rooms in the convention center building they could of used?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!
You wouldn't be referring to all the rooms down the side halls that are about the same size as that "danged tent" are you?

[/ QUOTE ]