Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Home tourney - Cash stolen

[ QUOTE ]
I would never put the cash in my pocket, however, as it just seems more transparent to keep it in everyone's sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and it's in everyone's sight. What happens when you go to the restroom or out for a smoke? Do you take it with you? Will you cover any differences if it's off? What's wrong with keeping it your pocket? That narrows down any sort of problem to only one person. SOMEBODY needs to be responsible for the money from start to finish.

Only one person handles the money! When you're a small group that barely has enough for one table, sure, keep it on the mantle or wherever. But as soon as you start bringing in people who come and go throughout the night, ONE PERSON HANDLES THE MONEY. And that person HOLDS ONTO IT.

It's really really easy. Most people use $20s, so put those on the bottom. On top of the $20s, put the $100s, and then everything else. Order, bottom to top, is $20, $100, $50, $10, $5, $1 (hopefully no singles as they add too much bulk; I keep a roll of dollar coins around for change). Then fold it over so that the big circled sans-serif 20 is facing out. Put it in your back pocket. For me, this is easier to access and handles more quickly than a bunch of money piled up somewhere. People can wait until I'm out of a hand to cash out or rebuy, it's not a big deal. That way I know it's safe and I know that any error is my own fault. Since doing it this way, I've had no problems.

Oh, and it goes without saying that absolutely nobody but me touches the chips in the bank. I keep them in a place that has some physical and psychological barriers to everybody else.

So, yeah, sucks you have this problem, but an ounce of prevention...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM

pfapfap-

We have a group of about ten to twelve regulars that have been playing for a couple of years now. There's always at least five folks at the table to keep an eye on one another, and they all know that nobody gets chips or puts money in the box without me being there. So, for me, it's fine if it stays on the table. We play at fairly low stakes, but can end up with around $600 or so in the box at any given time. The worst thing we ever had happen was the box was short at the end of the night. It was after that night that I became banker.

We don't invite any new people to the group that someone doesn't know really well, and obviously don't have a big enough bank to have to worry about folks colluding and stealing the box in groups.

The 10/20 game I go to is much different. People get patted down, there are security cameras at all entrances and the money goes in a lockbox. At that game, I'd agree that the money needs to be in a central location, but it'd bother me if that was all in one guys pocket. I'd rather have it to the point where I didn't have to accuse anyone of anything when it comes time to cash out.

I think it mostly depends on the stakes. The OP's group, as he stated, doesn't play large enough stakes that there would be a temptation for a group to work together to steal the cash. If enough dependable eyes are on the box, and only one person is allowed in it, then it should be fine to keep it out in the open.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At that game, I'd agree that the money needs to be in a central location, but it'd bother me if that was all in one guys pocket. I'd rather have it to the point where I didn't have to accuse anyone of anything when it comes time to cash out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care WHERE the money goes, as long as the banker knows that he/she is responsible for cashouts and shortages.

As you noted, games are different... but the more you make things standard practice across ALL types of groups, the more likely they are to spread and cut off some of this nonsense (hopefully)
Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM

I think we're all agreeing with each other here. The only thing I was trying to point out is that my home game is with a group of folks I competely trust, as it's been mostly the same group of folks for two years. This sounds similar to the group OP has. However, even with the high level of trust we have, there is still a centralized bank and only one banker. That should be standard.

My suggestion for OP, drop the chick you don't trust and don't invite the guy who's mortgage is on the line. If you're just looking to have fun, people who may have reasons to not be on the up-and-up are not the type of folks you want at that game. Save the stress for someone else's game.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM

1 Have one person hold the money, in their pockect.

2 league was never setup right where it allowed everyone access to the money.

3 In your time searching for the money, did everyone agree to empty theri pockects and wallets

4 Can't point the finger after the fact with proof, live and learn
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM

It was colonel Mustard in the dining room with the candle stick. Money is gone and you have learned that even friends will steal from you.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:12 PM

I suggest you ask your friend Dave, in private and politely, if he took the money. If he is really a friend, he won't take offense. If he gets angry, indignant, holds a grudge, etc., he probably did it and in this case hopefully the friendship will break up over it.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM

I play in one game where the money is just put on a shelf with the chips. Everyone there knows each other very well, and nobody would dare mess with it. But everyone is also very drunk and many people sometimes touch the till and make change and whatever else, so it's short sometimes. I doubt deliberately, but that's the way it can go.

In my game, though, I keep the cash. Not so much as a protection against theft, but as a protection against exactly this sort of situation. I don't like having to distrust an entire group of people. None of us are perfect, so why have the temptation out there for someone who may be a little weak that day? And if I go somewhere else, I don't care if the money goes in someone's pocket or a pneumatic tube, as long as I have the guarantee I can exchange my chips later.

If something like this happened in my game, it would completely destroy the mood for a very long time, perhaps rendering the game unsalvageable. That's a risk I don't want to take.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Cheap lockable cash box with the ability to make change (cash enough for the limit be it cash OR tourney). You keep the key, you make all the change - period.

Keep the cash box under your chair at all times.

Balance it at the end of the night (keep list of the # of bills etc). I have never had a shortage and never an issue doing it this way.

ADDED:

Oh, and as it was noted above: "Oh, and it goes without saying that absolutely nobody but me touches the chips in the bank. I keep them in a place that has some physical and psychological barriers to everybody else."

Basically, all money and chips go through me...no if, ands, or buts and no matter what friend offers to help.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if I see $450 worth of candy bar wrappers in the den.................

[/ QUOTE ]

That would almost be worth it.

Have you asked your league about what changes they would like to implement to prevent this? Presenting them with some ideas from the 2+2 crowd is fine, but getting consensus from the actual players is probably the best idea.