Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: WSOP player claims he folded AA on the bubble

Starting a thread about folding AA on the bubble is a helluva lot worse than actually doing it.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:54 PM

WWJD
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 PM

is it really worth it to risk 15k?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if ure planning on folding AA on the bubble then please, please go to the ME, and as many of the preliminary events as possible, as well. In fact, travel the circuit! It's fun!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im really shocked as to how little clue many of the people in this thread has about poker. is this forum just one for people who only watch poker on tv and follow on pokernews and dont actually play?

there is NO disputing that if the 20K for 621st meant that much to him that he SHOULD NOT BE IN THE TOURNAMENT for 10K...the only way he can play it is if he has extreme confidence in his game. Which he clearly doesn't because to fold there means he does not think he can win once in 411 tries with 622 left...which any poker player should think he can do multiple times.

there are situations where folding makes sense, like someone said earlier about player A having 1mil and player B having 999K...and you having 1000 and they both go allin...but these extreme circumstances were not even close to the case on this money bubble

one thing not mentioned, is that folding does not guarantee you the money. if your short and miss an excellent chance to double up, you could end up getting blinded out. if he had enough chips where this was not a fear, then he clearly had enough fold equity to push and not get called everytime making his EV amazingly high. i guess the lesson learned is do not try to talk strategy on a forum full of spectators...anyone not realizing the facts that make this a push really has a lower level of intelligence then most people on this board and should give up poker

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a simpleton.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im really shocked as to how little clue many of the people in this thread has about poker. is this forum just one for people who only watch poker on tv and follow on pokernews and dont actually play?

there is NO disputing that if the 20K for 621st meant that much to him that he SHOULD NOT BE IN THE TOURNAMENT for 10K...the only way he can play it is if he has extreme confidence in his game. Which he clearly doesn't because to fold there means he does not think he can win once in 411 tries with 622 left...which any poker player should think he can do multiple times.

there are situations where folding makes sense, like someone said earlier about player A having 1mil and player B having 999K...and you having 1000 and they both go allin...but these extreme circumstances were not even close to the case on this money bubble

one thing not mentioned, is that folding does not guarantee you the money. if your short and miss an excellent chance to double up, you could end up getting blinded out. if he had enough chips where this was not a fear, then he clearly had enough fold equity to push and not get called everytime making his EV amazingly high. i guess the lesson learned is do not try to talk strategy on a forum full of spectators...anyone not realizing the facts that make this a push really has a lower level of intelligence then most people on this board and should give up poker

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a simpleton.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't he spend 10k to live the dream and then lock in a nice 10k profit on top.

Makes hell of a story at work next week.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry maybe this is why i cant relate to this whole thing...i dont go to work i make good decisions playing poker and dont fold AA

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLz, well aren't you just a bad ass.

Serious question....

Is there even 1 poster that has the film avatar who isn't a retarded jackass?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 PM

I dealt a private company satellite tournament this year where the winner won a seat at the ME. This company sent 6 donkeys into the main event this year. I am sure they are not the only ones that have done something like this. If one of those donkeys got lucky enough to be sitting at the bubble, I can see that 20K is a very nice prize and there is no use in taking a change their rockets get cracked.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people care more about feeling good than they do about making money

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but those people should be getting erotic massages instead of playing in poker tournaments with a $10,000 entry fee.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im really shocked as to how little clue many of the people in this thread has about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and one of them is you.

First of all, you just don't seem to realize that cEV is completely different to $EV. Lots of posters have brought this up and explained several situations where it is +$EV to fold aces on the bubble. Some of these situations are a bit unlikely but some less so.

Then if you introduce utility of wealth and life EV (lets call it lEV) then you are opening up another can of worms altogether. At that point it can become rational to fold AA pre-flop in call kinds of strange situations.

cEV is not equal to $EV - This is something you really need to learn if you want to be successful at poker.

$EV is not equal to lEV - This is something you really need to learn if you want to be successful at life.

PM

Disclaimer - I'm not saying that the person mentioned in the OP was correct to fold the aces, just that there are situations where it could be either from a good poker standpoint or a 'good life' standpoint.