Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: My new favorite person: Christopher Hitchens

I'm shocked by your response, Blarg, as I didn't believe that there were thinking people who actually tried to make a case in favor of smoking bans. The issue seems like such a clear-cut one, such an obvious example of many people's willingness to trade liberty for comfort or preference, that I find your criticism of Hitchens here almost laughable.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: My new favorite person: Christopher Hitchens

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically the liberals were Hitchens fanbois until he wrote the book about the Clintons. Then the libs got offended and started attacking Hitchens on a personal level since they couldn't refute any of his positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's absurd. Hitchens intentionally attacks sacred cows on both sides. Party line liberals liked him because most of his attacks in the early days were against conservatives, so he went the other way to break that role.

Smart people are bored by Hitchens because attacking absurdity without a moral basis is both easy and pointless.

He's basically the smart depressed guy who likes to get in arguments and make others feel stupid and he's found a way to turn that into a career. Good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading and listening to his views on Islam in the current world climate, I was impressed by his own level of personal courage. If what you say is true then it makes him out to be a complete fool. Somehow I doubt that.