Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 PM

Default running alone good enough to lose weight?

hey guys.

I'm about 10 pounds overweight. I run fairly regularly but am going to be more diligent because i really wanna lose these last few extra pounds. My roommate tells me that teh weight will disappear much faster if I incorporate some weight training into my routine.

First of all, is this true?

Second, if true, i am going to add some push ups to my routine and some curls with a dumb bell that we've got lying around here. I REALLY don't wanna have to hit the gym. I'm scared of those places.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: running alone good enough to

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1392804
Your best bet is a good diet and doing heavy, complex movements that incorporate big muscle groups in the gym. You could easily just go to the gym twice or 3 times a week and do squats, deads, and bench, no? Mostly pay attention to your diet though, and don't do a lot of cardio.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 PM

very interesting article.

i think I already do eat a pretty healthy diet. I eat lots of vegetables and whole grains and keep the animal protein down to 6-10 ounces per day. the article mentioned that we should be drinking lots of water. what's up with that???

i still hate the gym so I am just not gonna go there. however, i'm gonna limit myself to 20-30 minutes of running and then do some curls, pushups and lunges at home. think that'll do the trick?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 PM

If that's what you like to do, and it's the mostly likely you will stick with do it. Their are better ways but if you dont enjoy doing them they are not better.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 PM

There are plenty of good bodyweight exercises that will build strength and endurance.

Pushups, close grip pushups, clap pushups, knuckle pushups, one-armed pushups, hindu pushups, handstand pressup, squats, burpees, bicycle kicks, pistol squats, well you get the idea. Just take the time to learn the more advanced and difficult versions of these exercises, it's fun and rewarding and then just do a lot of reps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

The single most important thing you can do to lose weight is count your calories at www.fitday.com. Any type of cardio or weight training in addition to this is going to be beneficial.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 PM

The correct answer is that running is good enough to help you lose that last 10 pounds. Weight training would be good as well. HIIT would also be good. I mean, it's only 10 pounds of body weight, whether it be muscle, fat, water, etc. You could lose it a ton of different ways.

Now, if you meant 10 pounds as a metaphor for "I need to drop some fat and gain some muscle," you're best off lifting heavy weights and supplementing with some sort of high-intensity interval cardio on the off days. The gym is intimidating at first, but once you get into it, you'll realize that almost everyone there has as little a clue about lifting as you do.

link to how I got started lifting - It may give you a better sense of the ins and outs of the gym and make it seem less intimidating.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 PM

also if its the people that is intimidating to you I think youll realize very quickly that nobody is watching you or judging what youre doing. most everyone is just doing their own thing getting their workouts done.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that's what you like to do, and it's the mostly likely you will stick with do it. Their are better ways but if you dont enjoy doing them they are not better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is key, you have to like what you are doing to do it consistantly, and it takes consistancy in a fitness program to yeild long term results. If you can find someone to go to the gym with you so it wont intimidate you as much you will be better off than just running, but if you like it by all means run run run like Forest Gump.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 PM

thanks alot for all the responses
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
very interesting article.

i think I already do eat a pretty healthy diet. I eat lots of vegetables and whole grains and keep the animal protein down to 6-10 ounces per day. the article mentioned that we should be drinking lots of water. what's up with that???

i still hate the gym so I am just not gonna go there. however, i'm gonna limit myself to 20-30 minutes of running and then do some curls, pushups and lunges at home. think that'll do the trick?

[/ QUOTE ]
Screw the curls man. Do squats with dumbells, military press (overhead press or whatever it's called), keep the lunges, keep the pushups. I mean, I guess you could keep the curls if that's something that you want, but it's not doing much for you.
Closed Thread