Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick Your Show
Entourage 11 35.48%
24 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Do you think you\'re better than most?

[ QUOTE ]
I am not better then most.

[/ QUOTE ]

da da da
Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and without explanations it's mainly a "trap" poll, so that the poller can then define these things in their own way later to call everyone on it and make some argument about why the respondents are skewed to think more highly of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm better than that.

I really was just curious as to what people's gut reaction would be. There are so many ways to clarify and discuss in what way people are better or whatever. I'm not trying to trap or call anyone out on anything.

More specific questions involving intelligence, personality, emotions and caring and so on could be interesting, but I don't exactly feel like doing it as thoroughly as it should be.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:23 PM

I voted "no" and predicted the poll would be 80% yes before voting.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and without explanations it's mainly a "trap" poll, so that the poller can then define these things in their own way later to call everyone on it and make some argument about why the respondents are skewed to think more highly of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm better than that.

I really was just curious as to what people's gut reaction would be. There are so many ways to clarify and discuss in what way people are better or whatever. I'm not trying to trap or call anyone out on anything.

More specific questions involving intelligence, personality, emotions and caring and so on could be interesting, but I don't exactly feel like doing it as thoroughly as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without stipulations, everyone should be answering yes. Anyone answering "no" has a definition of "good" or "better" or whatever that they're not living up to, which is sad.

That's not to say that redefining your ideals to fit yourself is right, but that whatever ideals you hold as being "good" should be what guided you to become what you've become, or act in the way that you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or we answered no because we believe that no one person is inherently "better" than any other person. I may think I am better at some things than the average person, but that doesn't make me the "better" person as a whole.

I actually think it is sad that so many people are answering "yes" -- as if there is some all-encompassing criteria that they've uncovered where they can say "hi, I'm better than you" and really mean it.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Without stipulations, everyone should be answering yes. Anyone answering "no" has a definition of "good" or "better" or whatever that they're not living up to, which is sad.

That's not to say that redefining your ideals to fit yourself is right, but that whatever ideals you hold as being "good" should be what guided you to become what you've become, or act in the way that you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or we answered no because we believe that no one person is inherently "better" than any other person. I may think I am better at some things than the average person, but that doesn't make me the "better" person as a whole.

I actually think it is sad that so many people are answering "yes" -- as if there is some all-encompassing criteria that they've uncovered where they can say "hi, I'm better than you" and really mean it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that you're no better than a child molester? That seems like a pretty severe devaluation of the word "better."
Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM

I know I am
Old 01-19-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone isn't equal. Despite the political correctness zelots out there, people are better than other people at things. Most things. Thinking that we are all the same is the kind of crap that gets people fired for saying things that are true but go against that view. Things like females are just as good at math as males, or there are no IQ differences between groups of people.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:23 PM

There's intelligence, personality, looks, common sense, athleticism, musical ability, etc etc.

I think most people are pretty average across the board with one strong skill.

I just read a book (don't remember the title off the top of my head), and it was about finding your strengths.

The one take-home point they make is that it's MUCH better to get really-really good at one of your strongest skills than it is to try to bring your weaker skills up to par.

Sort of counter intuitive, but there was some pretty good reasoning to back it up. After all, you can always just delegate responsibility, right?
Old 01-19-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone isn't equal. Despite the political correctness zelots out there, people are better than other people at things. Most things. Thinking that we are all the same is the kind of crap that gets people fired for saying things that are true but go against that view. Things like females are just as good at math as males, or there are no IQ differences between groups of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I just figured that he was looking for some sort of esoteric idea of equality that was basically undefined and understood only by those with the proper odd philosophical perspective. Saying that everyone is equal at all things is pretty absurd, and I don't think he intended that.