Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Flopped a sr8 flush, how do i get paid?

First hand of the tourney. I'm SB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. 2 limpers, I complete BB checks.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I check, BB bets $80. 1 limper calls, the other one folds.

Should I throw out a small raise, or just call?
Should I have lead the flop?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Flopped a sr8 flush, how do i get paid?

one of the prime reasons being OOP hurts when you make a monster...this one is big enough to wait and see what develops...call and check turn..lead riv obviously (amount depends on turn action)

On a lighter note can you teach me to do that?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Call. Flop. Lead any non spade turn for 3/4 psb.

If a spade peels off anywhere, checkraise jam pretty much and hope someone has A/Ks
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Yeah... it's always frustrating to flop the stone cold nuts and lead out with a half-pot bet and see everyone fold... I sorta view these situations as "make very little" or "go for a stack"... I'd probably lead for half-pot... anyone with a decent draw will likely come along for the ride. If I get raised, I just call. On turn, I might lead out for a weakish 1/3rd pot sized bet... like I'm trying to set the price for my draw... hoping a made flush or set will try to protect against it. If the weak turn bet gets raised, I'm going to re-raise (maybe slightly more than a min-raise) looking for a jam. If the turn bet just gets called, then I'll probably assume they are on a draw as well and bet pot when a draw card hits on the river, hoping to get re-raised so I can jam. If my turn re-raise just gets called, I'll think about overbetting any river.

-G
Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM

obviously you have to slow play it. no one can catch up. just hope someone catches something and donates. and next time, try to get that hand later on when stacking someone off will mean more.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM

My approach in trying to figure out how to get money in after flopping a monster is to try and figure out what kind of hand will pay you off and give them a chance to catch you if they need to.

To get paid off on quads I figure I have to play the hand weak on the flop and often the turn to have a chance. The only hand that will pay me off on the flop is a flopped full house. By playing weak the chances of someone making a full house or forgetting the possibility of quads/full house when they catch a straight or flush on the river often gives me the best chance of getting lots of money in the pot.

In this case you can be fairly certain that the nut flush (and maybe the 2nd nut flush) will pay you off. In the case of the nut flush almost surely with their stack. Anyone with a straight on the flop will consider giving you action (not being willing to give you credit for a made flush). A lot of draws will come along especially if you're lucky enough to be against something like AsTx. Checking and raising on the flop gives away how much you like your hand, but you want to build the pot so that it will be harder to get away from. You also don't want to scare anyone with a reasonable draw away.

For all these reasons I think Gatorchomp's line is best. It induces anyone with a reasonable draw to come along. It makes it look like you're afraid or being cautious because of the flush and straight possibilities. It might even induce a bluff from an aggressive player who thinks you're weak.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

What range do you put BB on? Top pair, 2 pair, a pair + AorK[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], maybe just A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. How about a flush: maybe, but he has random cards so a suited hand is unlikely.

So what would your opponents put you on if you led the flop? See above, with a flush being more likely since the SB often plays any 2 suited in a multiway, limped pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have lead the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I think slow playing a monster in a multiway hand is almost always wrong. Most of your opponents slow play big hands and expect you to. Get some chips in there. If you bet 1/2 or 3/4 the pot and everybodyfolds, you were not going to win much anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I throw out a small raise, or just call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since we have already started slow playing I don't like a raise. That shows a lot of strength and might kill your action. With no reads I probably just lead the turn for 1/2 the pot or so. I like MJB's suggestion of check-raising a spade turn.