Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Neteller Waiver

[ QUOTE ]
Withdrew. Didn't sign, but I will not participate in any sort of class action towards NT unless some future event warrants it. Quite the contrary - if this check clears, I will tell anyone who is listening what a stand-up, reputable company Neteller is. They have taken it on the chin from the US government and done right by their customers.
If they are ever permitted to do business again in the States, I will gladly use their service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let the euphoria of getting your money cloud your judgement. Reread what you wrote in a week and you will realize how ridiculous it sounds.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Since I have no interest in a class action suit against Neteller for holding our money and I would in all probablity use their services again if they re-entered the US market, I signed.

I understood that NT had already turned our information over to DOJ and while I am pissed about it I do not believe we have legal recourse about it. If I am wrong and have signed the release allowing or condoning this then I wish someone (with a legal background) would point that out and explain the reasons and other options.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's a non-interest bearing account, but by holding your money hostage for 7.5 months they have cost you the opportunity to earn interest elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was holding it? Neteller or the USAO? I believe the latter would not let them disburse funds. I am not an expert on the Federal tort Claims Act, but it is very possible the U.S. is not subject to suit in this case.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM

As explanation as to why I thought NT had alredy made our information available to the DOJ:

I found an old quote from Sniper on 3/24/07

"If you are interested in Neteller's privacy policy, why don't you just read it... it has always said that they will release information to gov't agencies on request... Navigant is in there looking "forensicly" (ie they are looking at everything)."

Based on that quote and statments made in NT's press releases about "preparing documents for" DOJ I felt all US transactions were already available to the DOJ.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:09 PM

From what I can gather, 55-60 million was 'held' by the USAO while being EFT'ed to our banks, the remaining was still held by Neteller, though the figure was likely more than 94 million combined to begin with since for a few days they allowed peer 2 peer and allowed you to transfer from NT to a poker site as well.

The 55-60 million was kept by the USAO as the first of three agreed payments by NT to the court in NY.

However, after a few days NT was unable to allow any U S funds from being moved presumably by the USAO.

obg
Old 07-30-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had been required to sign to get my monies, then I would have. I can't see how signing this waiver benefits anyone other than neteller.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the reason I didn't sign it. I have no intention of suing Neteller but I just saw no benefit to myself in signing it.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:58 PM

I was dancing so much when I was clicking withdraw that I clicked accept so quick... the waiver kind of blows, but at this point I just want my money.

Oh thank you, oh heavenly day. My biggest win in one day, and it's money I already won... go figure!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM

FWIW, It is described in the FAQ:

What is the Release?
When US members request to withdraw the funds they will be asked to agree to a Release which, in broad terms, is an agreement between NETELLER and the member that each releases the other from potential legal claims. US members do not need to agree to the Release in order to request and receive the payment of funds. However, US members who do not agree to the Release will, in turn, not be released by NETELLER.

linky
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
US members do not need to agree to the Release in order to request and receive the payment of funds. However, US members who do not agree to the Release will, in turn, not be released by NETELLER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious about this statement because quite a few people seem be withdrawing without agreeing. Is this all BS? Will anything happen to these people's transactions (i.e. get cancelled) in the next day or so?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
US members do not need to agree to the Release in order to request and receive the payment of funds. However, US members who do not agree to the Release will, in turn, not be released by NETELLER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious about this statement because quite a few people seem be withdrawing without agreeing. Is this all BS? Will anything happen to these people's transactions (i.e. get cancelled) in the next day or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

The quoted answer seems to be quite clear that you'll still get your money even if you don't agree.

Refusing to give you your money unless you sign a full release would probably not make them a lot of friends at the Justice Department. Whether this issue was specifically negotiated as part of the plea agreement, I have no idea.

It seems to me that they're just trying a somewhat sleazy tactic in hopes of getting as many people as possible to give them a release for nothing. Basically, they're just taking a shot.