Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Interesting reaction from an out-of-the-blue email

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts, anyone? What kind of game information (yours, or others that you know about) would you give out to an anonymous emailer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not give out any information.

You have to be invited to my games by me personally or by my bud. We have a "shared expense fund", we do not have a rake. I do not wish to have my regular game busted up. I've built a small but loyal group of players that want to play poker regularly in a home game setting. Everyone is welcome however, before they are invited they have to know me or someone that plays in the game and that still doesn't necessarily get them invited.

You are more than qualified and privaleged to ask the questions that you feel must protect your game.

BTW - PM me the "anal probe" questionaire, I'm very curious to see what it asks.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his responses do seem plausible for somebody from a region where the laws regarding poker are a lot more liberal. He may just be surprised that you guys need to take game security so seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thinking as well.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Survey (longish)

I couldn't find the one I'd posted, so I'm reposting the current version (with a little editing):

Survey:
Hello! This is being sent you because you may have an interest in a home poker game in the area. In order to be added to the invitation list for future games, please answer all of the following and send back to me by XXXXXXXXXXX

Once I have received the completed survey and get a chance to follow up with you, I will inform you as to when the next game will be. Additionally, I have the current draft of the house rules that I can send you

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Please remove the answer that does not apply, leaving the answer that does apply

1. Are you a member of law enforcement, a professional in the judicial system or in any other profession that is involved with the application and/or enforcement of local, state or federal laws?
Yes
No
a. If you responded Yes above, would your professional occupation prevent you from participating on a regular basis in a private home game, while respecting and maintaining the confidentiality and integrity of said poker game and/or any of its participants?
Yes
No

2. Is there anything in your background or current occupation that would interfere with your ability to agree to keep what happens, during this private home game, private and confidential?
Yes
No

3. Do you understand and accept that your participation in this private home game is by invitation only- and therefore is entirely voluntary- and that the results you may experience during the games played are your responsibility alone and are not the responsibility of the host or the other participants?
Yes
No

4. Do you agree that, if you are given an invitation to attend and you accept, you will not cheat or collude in any manner against the game or its participants, nor will you partner with others with the intention of cheating or colluding in the games?
Yes
No

5. Are you of a legal age to gamble, in the state that the game is held in?
Yes
No

CONTACT INFORMATION

Please list the following contact information:
NAME:

HOME ADDRESS:

HOME PHONE:

EMAIL ADDRESS:
(if different than the one used to respond)

PREFERRED CONTACT METHOD:
(if not listed above, please include the new
information here)

PREFERRED CONTACT TIMES/LEAD TIME:

GAME PREFERENCES

Nickname- do you have a preferred alias or nickname that you’d like for use with our poker group?

GAMES
What types and structures of game(s) are you interested in playing on a regular, or occasional basis? For each, indicate the minimum and/or maximum you’d want to play in- that will allow me to filter invitations as needed.

I) BET STRUCTURES - These are the initial structures that might be used. Higher or lower amounts may be possible on an occasional basis, depending on player interest/availability
a. Limit ring games:
Spread:
$1-5
$1-2-2-4
$1-2-4-4
Higher

Structured:
$1/2
$2/4
$3/6
Higher

Kill Pots:
a) Half-kill
b) Full-kill

b. Pot limit ring games (with capped buy-in)
Buy in capped at:
$50
$100
Higher

c. No limit (cap buy-in) ring games
Buy in capped at:
$50
$100
Higher

d. TOURNAMENTS
Indicate what buy-in levels you would be interested in, along with what betting structures. If you are not interested in tournaments in certain games (such as Omaha high/low), indicate that.
$50 or less buy-in
$100 or less buy-in
Higher

Limit
Pot-limit
No-limit

Rebuy tournaments (if cost limits are different than no-rebuy, indicate that)

Special comments:

II) GAME TYPES
These options are presented in order to compile preferred primary ring games, as well as generate a list of alternative or secondary games that could be run in the future. Please mark the appropriate answer for each game (or remove those answers that don't apply)
We’re primarily looking for new players who are interested in a lot of different games (or may be willing to learn/be trained in new ones).

PRIMARY GAMES
a. Hold ‘em
YES
NO
MAYBE

b. Omaha Hi
YES
NO
MAYBE

c. Omaha/8
YES
NO
MAYBE

d. 7 stud
YES
NO
MAYBE

e. 7 stud/8
YES
NO
MAYBE

SECONDARY GAMES
If you have mixed answers, depending on the options, please list the options behind your answers.

f. 5 stud (high only, or lowball only)
YES
NO
MAYBE

g. 5 draw (or double/triple draw- Ato5 or 2to7- or with a joker/bug)
YES
NO
MAYBE

h. Razz -
YES
NO
MAYBE

j. Pineapple (Regular- preflop discard, hi only; Crazy- post flop discard, hi only; Crazy P/8- post flop discard, hi-low with 8 qualifier; or Thermonuclear- 5 cards to start, discard PF/flop/turn)
YES
NO
MAYBE

k. Mixed game nights (forced rotations, such as HOE, HO, SHOE, HORSE, whatever- I can detail acronyms if needed)- Specify type, if you have a preference.
YES
NO
MAYBE

l. Something else? Please specify:

III) GAME SIZE PREFERENCES
Since there are regular games, divergent player schedules and last-minute changes, give me the minimum number of participants, INCLUDING yourself in the count, for each type of game structure. That way, if your threshold isn’t met for a particular game on a particular night, I can warn you before you make a drive.
If individual games require different numbers (say, 5 for holdem but 7 for Omaha/8), list them individually.

Board games- (HE, Omaha, etc)

Stud (indiv. hand) games (7stud, etc)

IV) SCHEDULE PREFERENCES

For the ongoing game, we have established a semi-regular schedule in which to play (schedule changes will be handled on an ongoing basis). Generally we play (), usually (). Please indicate which of the following you could possibly attend on, on a semi-regular basis.

Any-

Tues-
Wed-
Thurs-
Fri-

Weekends- (which may happen on an occasional basis)

V) SNACK & BEVERAGE PREFERENCES
The host provides the refreshments during the game and collects a per-night fee (currently $y) from all members to cover various expenses- the games are NOT raked. If you have any particular beverage/food choices that you’d like to have, list them.
(PLEASE NOTE- if you are listing alcoholic beverages, you have to meet the minimum age for the state’s drinking laws)

In addition, new members are required to contribute a $x initialization fee at their first game, which will go into the general expense fund for equipment refurbishment and the like.

I hope to get a chance to meet you very soon and play some poker!

Thank you,
xxx
Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are more than qualified and privaleged to ask the questions that you feel must protect your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks for clearing THAT up for me... :P

Survey is in the thread now. That is the initial part of my interview/membership process.. the initial screening mechanism, as it were.

As for your process, I'd be curious about your decision criteria:

"they have to know me or someone that plays in the game and that still doesn't necessarily get them invited"

PM that part, if you'd prefer.

Take care, pis
Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 AM

The BG and contact info is great, the game preferences are a bit in-depth, especially for the fish that you want in your game.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The BG and contact info is great, the game preferences are a bit in-depth, especially for the fish that you want in your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think I want fish? Fish get eaten and go away- tough to maintain levels if you're always chopping people up.

(that said, our group's gone through hundreds of names...)
Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM

This is a great survey. Definitely extensive but most of it is about poker preferences so who'd have a problem with that?

My game is actually all people I know or have met through friends. As far as the personal info you're requesting, I know I'm not inviting anyone into my home who won't tell me where they live.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(and, in a later reply)
"i did not ask for your house location nor any of the other lawfull or privacy info that you requested from me for just playing some poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did "Goldmember" expect to come to your game without knowing your house location first?? We don't need him, plenty of fish already [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

p.s. why the hell is razz in the "secondary games" section!!??

yes to hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(and, in a later reply)
"i did not ask for your house location nor any of the other lawfull or privacy info that you requested from me for just playing some poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did "Goldmember" expect to come to your game without knowing your house location first??

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the game isn't at a house, dummy?

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. why the hell is razz in the "secondary games" section!!??

yes to hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the sky blue, you second-class razz-playin' fool?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Did you figure out how he got your e-mail in the first place?